Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Member with Wrecked Ranger.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Hey ya'll,i'm fairly new to Ford Truck Fanatics,and especially the Ranger section.I've been here for 3 days now and I love the site.I mainly hang around the 7th and 8th-8th gen F-Series forums.I figured i'd drop by and introduce myself here,since I plan on getting another Ranger someday.I bet ya'll are wondering about my first Ranger,so i'll give you the story.Back in February I was coming home from the store when I saw a black Ranger sitting in the front of a guy's yard 2 streets away from me.It had a for sale sign in the window that had the guy's number and 1,000 obo.I copied the number down,and after taking a close look at the truck,I went home and called the owner.He said he was on his way home from work,but he could show me the truck in half an hour.I agreed,and after a half an hour,I walked down to his house.What he was selling was his 2000 Ford Ranger Sport.It had a 2.5 4 Banger with an Automatic.It had a long bed,which was pretty rare to me.It had 189,000 miles on it,but the 2.5 had been rebuilt about 30,000 miles ago.It had a slight problem shifting from 1st to 2nd gear,but it was just a small jolt.The owner told me that his wife had pulled horse trailers with it,so that was most likely the cause.It didn't affect the way the truck ran.He told me his wife had been the first owner of the truck,and she got it new from the local Ford dealer.After talking a little more and hearing it run,he told me I could have it for 800 bucks.I told him I was very interested,and that I would have to go back and talk with my mom about it(i'm only 16),and make a decision with her.The next night I dragged my mom down to look at the truck.After she looked it over and took a quick test drive,she asked the owner if they would accept 100 dollars to hold the truck til I could get the full 700 from the bank.They agreed,and took out the for sale sign and parked the truck in front of their house.That Saturday I went to the bank and collected the money for the truck,and then headed to the owner's house to purchase the Ranger.After we handed over the cash and signed the title,I drove home with my new Ranger.I spent the next week cleaning it up waiting to get tags for it.For the next week and a half I did odd jobs for friends with the truck to make a little money.I also went and saw my then gf a couple times.Fast forward to February 24th.I was on my way home from the gf's house,and I was stopped at a stoplight in the left hand turning lane waiting to make my turn.When the light turned green,I started to make my turn.As I was making the turn,I noticed the truck wasn't shifting into gear.All of a sudden,the truck jolted hard,and the next thing I know,i'm in the opposite lane in a fishtail,so I tried to correct and get the truck straight and back in my lane.But I was too late,and I rocketed into a tree.I got out of the truck,and after making sure I was okay,I looked at the front of the truck.All I could see was mangled metal.It smelled like gunpowder,and the horn was blaring loud.I walked to the side of the truck,and put my hands on the bedside and yelled out F*ck louder than I've ever done before.I didn't know what had happened.I tried to recall what had happened.That's when I remembered the truck jolting.So I crawled under the truck to try and see if anything broke,but it was about 7:15 at night,so I couldn't see anything in the dark.I got on the phone and dialed 911,and told the operator to send police and a tow.A passerby who had seen the wreck stopped,and bought me a pepsi and brought it back to calm me down.The passerby told me she had seen me make the turn,and said somethin didn't look right about the way the truck was moving when I started turning.They ended up sending 4 fire trucks,2 police cars,and a tow truck to my accident.It was on a two way street,so traffic was blocked.I wasn't injured,but they still had to check me out.I stand at 6'2" tall,so when the airbag deployed,it didn't touch me,because I had the seat all the way back,and I had my heavy camo jacket on too,since it was cold out.The other thing that helped,was that it wasn't a head on collision,but rather a side swipe.The only thing that stopped me was a slightly turned wheel that hit the tree and stopped the truck.My mom was hysterical.It took me 2 days to get her to calm down.After talking to me and the witness,the highway patrol officer ruled the accident was caused by mechanical failure,with 5,000 dollars worth of damage.I was devastated.I loved that truck.Here's what it looked like when I got it.

l_f5d8b24c248c44a1bdec894552f2e06b.jpg

l_8ed04d7c478a469cab3a7d4fd8ec7067.jpg

l_fff152c15a4b48d2947b7f407828ba22.jpg

And here's what it looked like after the wreck....

l_c65e62ce78dd45c9a0d6fe60c5bab6cc.jpg

l_778bdfaf78a44889bddfacfd3595df8a.jpg

l_52b72047a958467db4b3fd229cdc0432.jpg

l_4feab1908e67404996d4c2b16596b237.jpg

l_64beb435b1af490086c93e850fd55fd5.jpg

At the time,I didn't think it was worth fixing,because I had bent the frame.But now,I regret signing it over to the towing company,because the tow truck driver who towed it bought it,fixed it up,and now drives it himself.It was so hard letting that truck go.I loved that truck.Worst of all,I just recently broke up with the gf that I was coming back from seeing.If I could go back in time,I would've never gone that night.But from what I was told,it sounds like the tranny locked up,and that could've happened anywhere,anytime.But I still kick myself over it.But oh well.There's plenty other Rangers out there.I'm currently looking for(wanting) a 98-2005 Supercab XLT 4x4.But i'll probably settle for any automatic Ranger.

Last edited:

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Thanks man.Yea that's the way I see it.I sure do miss it though.It was perfect for me.I'm partial to single cab longbeds.But I've begun to like supercabs too.But I can't fit in the rear jump seats to save my life.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Welcome, and shame about the truck! I miss my '95 I had.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Thanks.Losing a beloved truck is always hard.Even though my F100 isn't driveable,I don't think I could ever get rid of it.It's as if our trucks become family members.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
.I'm partial to single cab longbeds.But I've begun to like supercabs too.But I can't fit in the rear jump seats to save my life.

I like the longbeds...and until I happened into my extended cab, thought I preferred single cabs, too.

Having lived with the extended cab for 50k miles, though, and occasionally borrowed a single-cab Ranger, I don't ever want to go back. You can't haul people in the back cab very well, but it sure is nice to be able to toss my laptop and backpack in there (for instance) when I've got a front-seat passenger. And, maybe even more importantly...you can slide the seat further back in the extended cab.

Side note- they hauled horses with a four-cylinder automatic Ranger? Cripes...I think it would have been faster to let the horses get out and walk. :rofl:

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I like the longbeds...and until I happened into my extended cab, thought I preferred single cabs, too.

Having lived with the extended cab for 50k miles, though, and occasionally borrowed a single-cab Ranger, I don't ever want to go back. You can't haul people in the back cab very well, but it sure is nice to be able to toss my laptop and backpack in there (for instance) when I've got a front-seat passenger. And, maybe even more importantly...you can slide the seat further back in the extended cab.

Side note- they hauled horses with a four-cylinder automatic Ranger? Cripes...I think it would have been faster to let the horses get out and walk. :rofl:

Thanks ya'll.Yea that's the way it is with me too.I have a buddy who has a Supercab 02 F150,and he throws his stuff in the back.And I need all the leg room I can get.

And yep,they hauled horses with the 4 banger auto.I agree with ya'll.But I don't think she hauled them on the highway.I'm hoping it was just on the farm.I never got around to asking her.The only thing i'd ever haul with a 4 banger Ranger is people,and maybe a very tiny boat.And that's it.Rangers are economical pickups not made for towing.That's what half-tons and higher are for.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Rangers are economical pickups not made for towing.That's what half-tons and higher are for.

They'll haul a little bit...not heavy, and they won't do it fast (at least not the 4-bangers), but this was last fall, with a bit over a quarter million on the clock. Most of the furniture I own. Get right down to it, and with the truck and trailer sitting there...it's most everything I own except the little John Deeres.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
They'll haul a little bit...not heavy, and they won't do it fast (at least not the 4-bangers), but this was last fall, with a bit over a quarter million on the clock. Most of the furniture I own. Get right down to it, and with the truck and trailer sitting there...it's most everything I own except the little John Deeres.

Yea they can haul,it's just that a couple horses weigh more than furniture.lol.The average horse weighs between 900 and 1100 pounds,so two times that,along with the weight of the trailer = WAY more than the Ranger's towing capacity.I know that i'd be pushing it if I towed more than 2,000 with my F100,so you know you're not supposed to haul that much with a Ranger.I'll admit though,those 2.5's have alot of torque for a 4-banger.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
.Rangers are economical pickups not made for towing.That's what half-tons and higher are for.

Around here u only find 4x4 for the most part.Several fiends had them and have only got 19- 20 MPG worse on sc . I get 16 plus on my F150 sc long bed .

Glad u were all right . At over 6 ft I don't know how u sat in it . I'm 5-10 and cant get comfy in them.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Glad u were all right . At over 6 ft I don't know how u sat in it . I'm 5-10 and cant get comfy in them.

I don't know either.However,everytime I got out,i'd throw the turn signal on with my knee.lol.

*As a side note to all ya'll guys out there,make sure you truly know your girlfriend and her personality before you go out with her.And if ya'll break up,make sure there's no way she can contact you.Cause my ex will not stop sending me emails.She's pretty much stalking me.Somebody told me not to go out with her because she would be clingy if we broke up.I shoulda listened to him...:headbang:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts