Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bed bolts

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I took Dad's car in to the Ford dealer today to be serviced (turned out to be a bit more than that, but...) and since it is a beautiful day out, I wandered around the lot rather than wait inside.

I noticed that the '09 Rangers have ten (five "pairs") bolts holding the bed to the frame, compared to the six (three pair) that my '97 has.

'09 F-150's only had six, too...

Anybody know why they added more on the Rangers?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I think they just added more bolts for strength..

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Hmm that's curious...I'ma have to find me one and take a looksie under it.

Could you see anything under the bed that seemed different?

Even the SD's (at least the '02 and '04 I've been around recently) had six. So do the GM's in my family...I just thought that was, as Ryan said, the "magic number".

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Did you happen to notice if they downsized the new ones? This makes no sense given that there's a fantastic amount of strength in the six bolts that they've used for years and years. Less parts = less assembly time = keeps vehicle prices down and hopefully more competitive.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Did you happen to notice if they downsized the new ones? This makes no sense given that there's a fantastic amount of strength in the six bolts that they've used for years and years. Less parts = less assembly time = keeps vehicle prices down and hopefully more competitive.

If they downsized, it wasn't by much. I've got a drop-in bedliner so I haven't actually seen my bed-bolts in quite some time. But if the bolts were a LOT smaller, I'd have noticed it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts