Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New to site - Thinking '59

Hello:

I am thinking about a '59 F100. I saw one that's 4x4 with a 390. It's been lifted...not my style at all...but I love that body style.

Was factory 4x4 available back then? Would the 390 be the stock engine...I seriously doubt it but have not done any research yet? It's a 3 spd. that the kid must've converted to a floor shift.

I remember riding to high school with a buddy in his '59...it was a great time and I am thinking about getting one to refurb! This one has no rust...but it looks like they are not the stock axles either...discs on the front...so I guess I am answering my own question about stock 4x4...?

HOW does $1500 sound for a straight '59 f100 with the above setup? Runs, but needs help. I am a little hesitant with so much Frankenstein going on there.

Thanks!!

SG

Last edited:

Blade

Backwoods boy
WELCOME!!!!!! i cant really help ya, but i know theres some people here that can! *now where are they at????
:p*

4x4 was factory for the first time around that year and it very well could be factory. The 390 is not original because it debuted in the 1961 Thunderbird, a couple years after your truck. Your truck would come factory with a 292ci Y-block. 3 speed on the floor was also a factory transmission I believe. My dad had a 4 speed in his 1960.

havi

third member
Yep, 1959 was the first Ford factory built 4x4. Personally one of my favorite years. These trucks look great with little or no lift, and knobby tires. here's one of each bed type....for inspiration.

Last edited:
Thanks havi. How does $1500 sound for something that is not original? No rust, straight body. Just starting to look, but this one seems like it could be a fun project...not a restoration at all...I'd need to go through that 390, paint, etc.

SG

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
They're worth different amounts in different part of the country (rust differences) but a straight body alone sounds like a good deal, even if you decided to gut it.

Ryan

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
seems like a real good deal if the body is as straight and has little rust on it.....I definitely wanna see pics.....sounds like a good project and the 390's are good torque motors.Where bouts you at?And welcome to the site.

Thanks! I am going to look at it soon...we'll see. I am wondering about that 3-spd tranny. I'll have to see how the guy geared the thing.

I have a friend that had a 59 4x4 flatbed. It ran a 352 & granny 4 speed. Good old truck. It (the 57-60) is about my second most Favorite Ford. OK, OK THIRD.
Behind the 32-34 Ford & 53-55, with the 57 being the one from that body style. I love the single Headlights in that body. I remembered, I had an acquaintance that had an OLDS 394 powered 57 short bed. Nice truck and it ran WELL.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts