Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

p/s "puking", EVAP question

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Had the hood up on my Ranger today, just checking fluid levels and such.

Noticed that the P/S reservoir cover had fluid sitting in it, and some dripping out of it; like it had been puking out the breather hole. Just like it does if I drive the truck without the serpentine belt, or try to steer with the engine shut off.

Fluid level looked higher than the last time I checked, but I'm not sure. Nor am I sure how long the fluid could have been sitting there. It was the first thing I saw when I opened the hood, so probably it wasn't there last time I checked the oil (maybe two weeks ago).

The other night, I thought I noticed that the p/s pump typical Ford whine was even louder than usual...but it went away again after that. I haven't "done" anything at all to any of the steering components in several months (passenger ball joints last November), except check the P/S fluid level periodically. I know (or am at least pretty sure) my steering box is getting about worn out, too, but it's still safe to drive (just annoying).

Thoughts?

Also, mostly just 'cause I'm curious- I noticed that the fluid dripped onto a wire connection below it, so I looked to make sure it wouldn't get anywhere it could cause a problem. On the vac line between the EVAP canister and the manifold, there are two "boxes" with wires going into them. I assume one is a solenoid to control EVAP flow...but what's the other? Sensor? Which is which?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Runnin' down the interstate today, I got a whiff of burning ATF (what's in my P/S system, per Ford spec).

Yanked it off the next exit...level was just as high, more fluid on the cap. Not sure where it was burning off of (the reservoir didn't smell that bad, and is on the other side of the engine from the exhaust). P/S pump felt hot- not sure if that's normal or not, after 15 miles of interstate driving.

sounds to me like your pump is just about to take a crap, if its that hot that prolly why your smelling burning fluid. i would suspect a bad pump since you said the levels are good yet you here the whine like it was low or empty.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
That's about what I thought.

Hmmm...time to call a junkyard, I guess...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts