Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Truck, Few Questions

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Oh No not me again. Haha. Buddy just bought a 86 F250 today. Had to tow it to his house for him. I really havent worked on any this year, so I have a few questions. Its a 86 F250 5.8L 4bbl, 4 speed with granny 1st, 4.10's, standard cab, long bed. Well the truck got 98K on it, and it runs damn good. Now under the hood there is the emissions tag and it says no catilist. Does that mean no cat? Its got like 2 air pumps and the most complex air tube system ive ever seen. I plan on removing all the air pump stuff and putting a nice manifold and performance 4bbl on it. Not too crazy as its stock. Also what size is the gas tank in it? Its only got 1 tank and its along the frame. Its bigger then the ones in my gen truck. Someone also added a tank under the right side under the bed, its outside the frame and the filler sticks out the wheel well. Ill get pics when I can, was just painted and its nice. Frame is good, but a bit crusty is some places, nothing we cant fix.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Anyone anyone? Anything on the cat?

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Stock fuel tank was 19 gallons.

My 86 F150 4x4 5.0L had a cat but its also EFI. Ford was dancing pretty carefully with EPA about then and changing what they had to, only when they had to. A look under the truck will tell you if it has a cat in the exhaust system. Passenger side, under the cab inside the frame was the stock location - forward of the muffler.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Pretty sure everything but one tons were mandated to have cats starting in or around 1980. But in the last 23 years, it definitely coulda been removed...especially if it has all the pumps and whatnot.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
It has a nice true dual exhaust with no cat on it. Its a 250 so I dont know if it needs it, I figured no catalist emissions tag which I have never seen before at my job, tho its rare for me to work on anything later then like 88.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just cuz it has duals now and no cat doesn't mean it didn't at one time. Hell, my 79 had them, but has duals and no cats now. And like I said earlier...I'm pretty sure in the 79-80 range everything BUT 350's were required to have cats. But if it passes inspection...no biggie.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I know the exhaust aint stock, so im trying to find if someone got a 86 F250 same thing. Might just have to ask my boss tomorrow.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts