Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Econo Spotted in San Francisco!

Yep there it was, near the alameda:
alamedacono1.jpg

alamedacono4.jpg

alamedacono3.jpg

There it was, doing what ECONOs do best:
alamedacono5.jpg

alamedacono2.jpg

Hauling crud and sportin' WOOD :rofl:

econo61

head pervert
okla
hhmmmmmm, only in frisco huh. mabey thats a little to far to drive this weekend though.

Interesting. Someday I want to see one of the pickup ones in person. I used to ride with a neighbor who had one of the vans in the mid 70s.

Its in the only major US city that has a decreasing population (according to Jay Leno).

Oh...Bill...mine is definately not an econo tailgate!!!

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
It's in the only major US city that has a decreasing population (according to Jay Leno).

Oh...Bill...mine is definately not an econo tailgate!!!
San Francisco gun law = no handguns allowed in the city. Would you live there?

Oh...Brian...there are two Econoline tailgates!!!

This one pictured....and another one. How about posting a picture of yours?

Since when is the Alameda Marina in San Francisco? Isn't it across...from the city by the bay?

1890's San Francisco moniker = Baghdad by the Bay.

This refers to ancient Baghdad, not the current Baghdad.

I wonder how rusty this Econo Pickemup was before it arrived in CA? The black plates that are on it, are the last style of the Q commercial plates (note the tail of the Q), prolly from 1969. Black plates not only can be dated as to when issued, but to the city/county where they were originally issued.

Last edited:
Because of the guns or other reasons? I don't own a gun. Too dangerous with my hand and arm injury. I tried shooting a shotgun a while back and could barely hit the side of a barn (literally an old barn).

And no...I don't want to live anywhere close to any major city.

Anyone have a picture of the second econo tailgate?

Here is my old one since Bill says there is another one:

tailgate1.jpg

heightdiff.jpg

Looks just like the 53-72, but taller. Sam width as my new one.

Sorry for the light pic first pic. The sun was on it.

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Because of the guns or other reasons? I don't own a gun. Too dangerous with my hand and arm injury. I tried shooting a shotgun a while back and could barely hit the side of a barn (literally an old barn).

And no...I don't want to live anywhere close to any major city.

Anyone have a picture of the second econo tailgate?
The other Econoline tailgate is 3/4's the size of this one pictured.

San Francisco is one of the world's most beautiful cities. But today, its population is liberal left wing. Housing is non-existant. Ppl there are packed in like sardines, and...just try finding an affordable place to live. The average studio apartment rental = over $2,000.00 a month. The traffic is terrible, but not as bad as Toronto, which has the worst traffic I've ever seen.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
BAAA-8340700-A .. Original 1953-56 F100 tailgate. Part number changed in 1957 to: B7C-8340700-A (same shape and size). Same tailgate fits all F100's 1953-1979. This tailgate was used on all the short bed Flareside F100 pickups.

If your tailgate looks the same, but is larger than the one pictured, it's B7D-8340700-A = 1953/72 F100/250/350 tailgate. This tailgate was used on the longer Flareside beds. These beds are also known as the Express bed. The bedsides are higher, which explains the higher tailgate.

Last edited:
No...the express beds are 54" (or so) wide. Mine is 50" wide which is the width of the F-100 bed. It is just 20 7/8" tall (height of the express bed gates). The F-100 tailgate is 19" tall.

Regardless of part numbers, this does not match anything anyone has found as far as measurements.

It is possilbe it is an express bed that has been shortened (width), but I can't find it if it has.

I really don't care too much now. I have a gate that fits. This will be a cool garage wall decoration someday (read the redneck thread).

The Alameda is a concourse on the edge of the city. It's near the end of the 280 fwy before you get on the GG. but the closer you get to the bay, it turns from a limited access highway to a low-end business district and thenends in a myriad of park & ride lots.
The TOWN of alameda is an Islet across the bay. Still the SF bay area, tho, hehe. Either way, it was amusing to read of that Econoline PU in THAT area: Maybe its owner spent everything he had on RENT?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
No...the express beds are 54" (or so) wide. Mine is 50" wide which is the width of the F-100 bed. It is just 20 7/8" tall (height of the express bed gates). The F-100 tailgate is 19" tall.

Regardless of part numbers, this does not match anything anyone has found as far as measurements.
There are two 1961/67 Econoline tailgates:

C2UZ-8740702-A .. 50 3/4" x 23 1/2"

C2UZ-8740702-B .. 50 3/4" x 19 1/2"

Mr Fixit: I know where Alameda is, I better..as I spent several summers in San Francisco when I was a young 'un.

Seeing old cars driven daily and parked on streets is normal in CA. No rust, cuz no snow. No snow, no salt on the roads. Far more cars in CA, too. In a study done in 1970, it was found that there were more cars in LA/Riverside and San Bernardino Counties, then in 46 of the 50 states.

I had no doubt you know where Alameda is... I was posting that info for everyone else...
My extent of "experience" in that area was almost more trial-and-error, trying to find new ways to escape oakland and such. Plus I went to college in San Jose, and dated a gal from Daly city. Called her my "Cowpalace sweetie" lol

There are two 1961/67 Econoline tailgates:

C2UZ-8740702-A .. 50 3/4" x 23 1/2"

C2UZ-8740702-B .. 50 3/4" x 19 1/2"

Mr Fixit: I know where Alameda is, I better..as I spent several summers in San Francisco when I was a young 'un.

Seeing old cars driven daily and parked on streets is normal in CA. No rust, cuz no snow. No snow, no salt on the roads. Far more cars in CA, too. In a study done in 1970, it was found that there were more cars in LA/Riverside and San Bernardino Counties, then in 46 of the 50 states.

It is neither one of those. It is 50" wide X 20 7/8" tall. I know how to read a tape measure. No one knows where it came from. It does not fit anything correctly that anyone has found in this country.

It's a CHEVY. :rofl:
How long you guys gonna argue over this thing? sheesh. Arrange a meet and duke it out there...

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
It's a CHEVY. :rofl:
How long you guys gonna argue over this thing? sheesh. Arrange a meet and duke it out there...
Who's arguing?

I just passed on the measurements for the other E tailgate.

After all, I have the parts books, Brian doesn't.

Yes Scott it is possible. I am not an expert body and paint guy (have done quite a few totalled cars and trucks), but I cannot find where it was ever cut and welded back together.

At this point, I see it as future wall decoration. Referencing the redneck thread. :rofl: YelloThumbUp

Bill has been trying for a long time to figure out what it came off of (as well as quite a few other members on "the other site") and no one has it yet.

I started it in this thread again myself (by accident). I said it is nothing like the first econoline tailgate I have ever seen in my life. I have seen the vans (even rode around in one as a kid), but I have never seen one of the trucks.

P.S. Tell Ryan we need a redneck smilie. :rolling laugh:

I think it would make a great display table for our next meet...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts