Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford Truck ghost problem

Another quizzicle... You start your late '70's ford truck with the big 460. It runs great. you drive for about 10-15 minutes and it sputters and dies. You sit for a minute, crank it and it starts right up, and dies another 5 minutes down the road, and you continue this way until you reach your destination, no matter how far.
Fuel is fresh.
Fuel level is good.
Fuel pump runs perfectly and puts out good pressure.
No kinks or rust in or on fuel lines and lines are in good shape.
Fuel Filter is fresh and clean.
Ignition module is brand new.
plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc all fresh.
Timing is set correctly.
all mechanicals are sound.
What was wrong?

Tip: This problem was repaired for less than ten dollars.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Does it involve throwing a wet rag over the ignition module to keep it cool?

No, the ignition module works AOK...

Those were fine as well...

It was fuel related, and NOT the pickup screen, either...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Gonna guess the air vent in the gas cap was plugged.

Good guess, but no. I have had that happen in another vehicle, tho!

Fellro

Staff member
When you say the fuel line is in good condition, is that visually? Because the line can degrade internally while still looking good on the outside. The inner lining can fail, and act basically like a check valve, blocking the fuel. That happens sometimes with brake lines, except it locks the pressure on, keeping that particular brake applied...

Last edited:
You were definitely on the right track with that.
The interior of the rubber line had begun to degrade, and the particles of rubber were temporarily clogging the fuel inlet on the carbeurator. The inlet acts as a filter itself, with tiny orifices for fuel to pass thru. Drive a short distance, the fuel under pressure clogs the orifices. Shut it off for a moment, the particles float away, until the flow starts again.
It was a VERY annoying and persistant problem until one day I pulled the inlet and blew it out into a white cloth... then I saw the black flakes.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I stayed out of this one cause I've had one that had vacuum lines switched on the evap that caused the full vacuum to collapse the tank forcing the fuel pickup out of the fuel. I had one that the insulating compound wasn't used on a replacement ign module (had 'em use regular silicone too) All had the same symptoms. Good find on the fuel line though!

Ahhh, but the insulating compound is for LATER modules, hehe... not the old 70's fender-mounts.
I figured you were staying out just to make it fair, anyway :rofl:

My brother-in-law insists that an egg in the tank does the same thing... the gas chemically "cooks" the egg, and occasionally it gets sucked up to the pickup tube.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
has it already been answered.

I say corrosion in the tank causing a clog at the fuel pump/ carb.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts