Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

slow leak

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My sister's got a '95 Saturn, and the tires all seem to have slow leaks.

Dad bought her two new tires last summer, hoping to solve the problem, but it only slowed the leak down a bit, didn't solve it.

My guess is actually that it's a rim issue...factory aluminum wheels.

When my sister is around, it's no big deal...she just puts air in the tire once a week or so, and all is good. She's off at school, though, and if it sits for several weeks, the tires get so low you can't drive the car.

Anybody got any simple, cheap, and quick suggestions on how to improve this?

*BTW...it's a decent car for what it is. Unfortunately, what it is, is a maintenance intensive old economy car. :(

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'd have to agree...probably a rim issue. Might have her try some of that tire slime. The real slime...the green stuff that's $10 a bottle, only stuff I've used that ever works for any period of time...but that's just a bandaid. Dunno if it work, or even slow the leak down...but next time she airs up...have her fill the tires with nitrogen...it's a bigger molecule, so if air is just seeping out and there are no 'holes' maybe it'll reduce the leak. Can't hurt...should be less than $5 to do...some places even do it for free.

you could also get her one of those 5 gallon portable air tanks so she can keep them topped off and still drive the car

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Don't use the slime or sludge to fill the tire. That stuff is acidic and will eventually ruin the tire. Just ask a tire shop how many they see that devour the inside of the tire. Bradlus Atticus is right - tube it or new wheels.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'll skip the slime, especially if it's potentially damaging to the rims. Tried it in a lawn-tractor tire one time...royal PITA to squeeze all that stuff into the rim, and then when it didn't work, royal PITA to clean the stuff out when I tubed it.

Yeah, I know tubes, or new rims, would be the right way to fix it...but I'm not really interested in breaking down all four myself to tube 'em (I HATE tire work, with a passion), and in my opinion this car is pretty well past the point where you fix everything right. Still a good car, but it's maintenance/attention intensive all over, and as long as you need to dump oil in it ever 500 miles, having to add air to the tires every week or two just doesn't seem worth the cost (time/money) to repair.

Thanks!

*She does have a 12v compressor I gave her to keep in the trunk...it probably won't last too long if she uses it every time, but it could save her a headache in a pinch.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
They might have pinholes in the rims or it could be the valve stems. Id have the tire shop ya bought the tires from break em down and check em.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...I didn't even think of valve stems...The stems on my old tires on the Bronco were 'dry rotted' and and you could kinda see some cracking...it let out just enough air to where I'd drop from 55psi to 35psi in a month.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'll second the valve stems...never overlook the smallest issue.

We didn't...I just forgot to mention it. New valve stems improved but did not solve the problem.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I vote for Chinese valve stems.

Yup. Yet another gift from our Asian friends.

There was a massive recall on Chinese valve stems that do exactly this. Tom and Ray were talking about it on CarTalk a while back.

If she gets the valve stems replaced again with good quality ones it may be fine.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts