Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

95 Ranger 4x4 with front end problems

My 95 Ranger 4x4's front axle has a problem. When looking at the pickup from the front view, it appears that the wheels are spraddled out. In other words, there appears to be more distance between the tires where they contact road surface than the top of the tire. I have seen this problem on 4x4 Superdutys in years past. It seems it was a greater problem with the heavier diesel engines.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My '97 is 2wd, so the front end is somewhat different, and I'm not sure what is or isn't the same.

The 2wd (twin I-beam) has an eccentric bushing on the upper ball joint, that, depending on how it's rotated will affect camber.(Linky)

Sounds like you need a good alignment.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I'd be in there checking wheel bearings, ball joints and radius arm bushings. Replace as needed and finish up with a good FEA. Squatting (decambered) front tires = tires that wear funny, along with a few other things you won't enjoy.

*Note that it is possible to whop the thing real hard and if you manage to do it just right you could bend something. If the noted items pass, there are bushings available that have a different eccentric position (bushings used for alignment, caster/camber settings) than the stock ones that *may* allow the alignment to meet or be close to spec.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I had this problem on my 85 that has the TTB. I took it down to get aligned and they had to put them things in it. After that the tires are nice and straight.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Weak coil springs will do it too. And a lot of alignment techs dont look at them either.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I'd be in there checking wheel bearings, ball joints and radius arm bushings. Replace as needed and finish up with a good FEA. Squatting (decambered) front tires = tires that wear funny, along with a few other things you won't enjoy.

*Note that it is possible to whop the thing real hard and if you manage to do it just right you could bend something. If the noted items pass, there are bushings available that have a different eccentric position (bushings used for alignment, caster/camber settings) than the stock ones that *may* allow the alignment to meet or be close to spec.

Yep- went through this with Nicks truck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts