Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

measuring piston groove wear

blacksnapon

Staff member
technician "A" says piston ring groove wear can be measured with a ball gauge. Technician "B" says ring groove wear can be measured with a new piston ring and a feeler gauge. Who is correct? 1) A only 2) B only 3) Both A&B 4) neither

Technician "B" is correct, insofar as the "NEW" ring is the identical ring as previously installed :) you use the new ring to be able to detect shouldering and tapering in the groove with a feeler gauge.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
You don't want me to tell you what I think a ball gauge is!! I don't know on this either. I'm not into that part of engines. I just turn the bolts my friend tells me to and he does all the thinkin' and planin'.

Sheesh! Your friend should have HIS name painted on the side of your truck, then!

econo61

head pervert
okla
ah hell, i'll go wit #4 so we can have them all on here!

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Both would be correct.

Fellro

Staff member
I'm with both... The ball gauge, used properly, will indicate the actual size of the area measured, but since cylinders typically do not stay round and true, it can be deceiving. The ring will give a measurement that the ring itself will have.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts