Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

another test your knowledge

to fix a vibration on a rear wheel drive car

• temp. balance driveshaft with hose clamps to test for balance issues

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • check condition of rear axle shafts

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • check for worn u-joints

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • check backlash of ring and pinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blacksnapon

Staff member
Try this one---I'll try to give the answer in a pm, whenever you post. Remember, read it carefully!

Last edited:
i say put the fat chick in the middle. can't have her hanging over 1 wheel or the other. it'll vibrate

please... nevermind

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I had a u-joint problem once and it did cause vibrations. I know that driveshafts can cause them by being out of balance, but I think that's more rare. As for the fat chick thing, I don't care for fat chicks or mopeds. :) So, I'm with the u-joints.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Well I voted hose clamps on the driveshaft, as it is the only component that will continue to vibrate after the slack is taken up, IE worn U joint, ring and pinion, or axle, all would caus ea really slow speed vibration (if on and off the gas again and agian like in town) the only one that would cause a continious vibration would be the driveshaft, or center bearing in the driveshaft.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I won't vote for u-joints. Every time I had a bad joint, it squeeled like hell, but didn't vibrate. the only time I see vibration being a problem is when it's in 'limbo' and going from acceleration to slowing down, or vice versa.

I don't see ring and pinion causing 'vibrations', but a rough time getting going would be in order, along with wheel hop, or whatever the problem actually is.

Axle shafts... doesn't sound likely.

I'm voting for driveshaft balance.

Ryan

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
I voted U-joints......

I voted hose clamps, as that is the only FIX that he listed. the rest are diagnostics, and while may DETECT the problem, will not eliminate it. Had he said to REPLACE those items, it could have been a fix.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts