Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Coolant Filter

Well after several thousand miles (about 2-3K) at this point the installation of this filter seems to be a complete waste of my time/money. I am not trying to stir the pot here nor am I challenging anyone's credibility. I am simply saying that there was nothing but some residual stuff in the bottom of the can. I am sure most of that was material from cutting it open. The filter media appeared to be as clean as the day I installed it. Don't get me wrong it it turns out to be a waste....that is a good thing... I think. I was more bummed out at the time I decided to install it because the implication is poor quality from the factory. Clearly that is not the case here. If the filter is catching stuff too small for me to see then great(probably not since the grains are large enough).

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I changed my first filter after 6,000 miles just out of being curious.

Keep in mind that this is a by-pass filter and until your motor gets up to temp and the pressure builds, sediment stays in the lowest parts of your motor.

I would leave your next filter on for 10,000 miles or more and just keep an eye on the degas bottle so you can still see the "dripping/overflow" of the return line.

Do you have your original EGR cooler and Oil cooler - or has any of them been replaced yet? If they had, much of the "gunk" was removed when the changed out those parts.

On the bright side, maybe you have one of the better built trucks that came off the line at International. At least having the coolant filter installed gives you a piece of mind that your not having the "casting sand" issue like many of did or do.

If you go to the dieselsite.com website... the pictures on the 6.0L section are mine that I sent them after being so impressed with what their filter took out of my system.

Yeah Beach I know how it works. I think I may have been a bit premature but there was at least some guidance to change the initial filter after the first 500 miles post install. My truck is MY2007 and I still have all original parts on it with the coolant filter being my only "mod". I am far from disappointed that I installed it considering what came out of your motor as well as the fact that it may in fact "leach" out over time. The next one is going 10k

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I know when mine needs changed because I put the temp sender on the out side of it. When it's plugged, my temp doesn't work. The first time, it quit with about 4500 miles on it and the second time it had about 9000 on it. I haven't changed it again in over 10,000.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Yeah Beach I know how it works. I think I may have been a bit premature but there was at least some guidance to change the initial filter after the first 500 miles post install. My truck is MY2007 and I still have all original parts on it with the coolant filter being my only "mod". I am far from disappointed that I installed it considering what came out of your motor as well as the fact that it may in fact "leach" out over time. The next one is going 10k

I am sure you do and did not infer that you did not.

Where did you read to change the firt filter after 500 miles?

Since the filter is a by-pass filter, 500 miles is a whole lot less "fluid through the filter" miles since only 10% or so is ever routed through the filter.

You still made a wise decision to buy and install this set-up.... if not for the "peace of mind".

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Don't get me wrong it it turns out to be a waste....that is a good thing... I think.

This strikes me as one of those things were you win either way, if you install it. Either it picks up a bunch of stuff (good) or you know there isn't crap in your motor (also good).

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
This strikes me as one of those things were you win either way, if you install it. Either it picks up a bunch of stuff (good) or you know there isn't crap in your motor (also good).

Yep.... 100%!!!!!

I am sure you do and did not infer that you did not.

Where did you read to change the firt filter after 500 miles?

Since the filter is a by-pass filter, 500 miles is a whole lot less "fluid through the filter" miles since only 10% or so is ever routed through the filter.

You still made a wise decision to buy and install this set-up.... if not for the "peace of mind".

Ya know I cannot cite the place I read it with absolute certainty, most likely another thread on the subject. Dieselsite recommends every 3 months for the first 9 M after installation so it was not there. I'll see if I can find it again.

Installed the same thing on my 06 back in December, got about 3500 miles on it and it still seems to be flowing fine. Gonna give it a couple thousand more unless it plugs up in the meantime. Curious to open it up when I do change it though!
Jim

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts