Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

AC question?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hey guy on my 02 ranger I noticed that when I run my heater the AC compressor kicks on and off?
Is this a sign of low or to high freon ?

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
The compressor will only engage in a mode other than off, vent, and heat. It does this to a) provide dehumidification in defrost b) to keep the seal in the compressor oiled, thus lessening the likelyhood of loosing refrigerant and c) to keep the evaporator core from icing over. Depending on the outside temp as well as the fan setting, it can/will cycle; this is normal. While it's true that a low charge will increase the frequency of cycling (as will lower outside temps), I would not be concerned at this point unless it's not cooling enough. An overcharge charge (done by a deliberate and improper charge effort) will reduce cycling; this is because the system will have difficulty pulling the low pressure side down sufficiently to cause the low pressure cutout switch to open. An overcharge will also result in reduced cooling as the low pressure side will not drop sufficiently and pressure and temp of the refrigerant are directly related.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts