Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Spare tire question

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright fellas...I have a newbie question. The shop that tried to plug my tire ended up not doing a very good job, and some how added another hole. The tire loses about 10psi a day. I have tires waiting at home, and I'm taking the 5 hour drive next Thursday. Question is, say the bad tire were to blow, or no longer hold air...I don't have a full size spare (35"), but I do have a 31" spare. I would obviously swap a front tire to the rear, and use the 31"er up front...but does anyone see potential problems, or have an idea on how long this setup would last? Obviously, no 4wd. Worst case scenario...could it last 250 miles? I just really don't feel like dropping $200 on a new tire just to get home. For the time being I just air it up every couple days...and figure I'll fill it up a couple times on the trip home. Tire says it should be filled to 55psi, but I don't wanna increase the pressure and blow th hole open, so I've only been filling to 35 psi. Thanks for any input.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I don't know how much heat is produced when the gears in the front diff are freewheeling as one spins much faster than the other. Also, how bad would that thing pull?

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Find a Ford-driving buddy and borrow another 31" spare, then put 'em both on the front. It'll look a little stupid, but...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts