Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rim Size

I have a 96 Ranger the soec say the truck shoudlhave 14" x 5.5" rims. I have 15" on the truck. The truck does not have power sterring and it steers hard would changing back to the 14" rims make the truck steer easier?

Also how easy/hard is it to install power steering. I only have 185,000 miles oin thetruck and it run excellent.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Not likely... The hard steering is due to not having power streering, lol. Bigger wheels shouldn't make much of a difference.

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Doubt the rim size makes that much difference...

Make sure your front tires are properly inflated- that WILL make a difference.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Steering will get harder if the current 15's are wider than the original 14's. Also, note that if the 15's are of a larger diameter than the stock 14's, the speedometer will read slower than actual speed unless it's been corrected.

racsan

4xford
i had a '71 early bronco with manual steering, put some bald 31-11:50's on it and it really made it hard to steer in low-speed situations, like when parking. but with power steering you shouldnt have any issues when going from 14's to 15's. unless you went to some really wide tires, then you would have isues with the tires hitting the body. if you get a p/s pump,steering box,and lines from the junkyard from a similar truck, it should be fairly easy to convert to power steering.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts