Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cab/Frame Preservation...

So some things have come to light since my previous post about this 1959 (still haven't verified that yet) Ford daully i have been drooling over for the last 5-6 years.

It is pretty much mine if i want it, i just need to find a replacement frame for the grain box on the back, so not a huge deal, i have a few connection would can help me out with that

After putting some serious thought into it (my school work is beginning to show just how much i have been thinking about it, haha) i have for the most part decided against making it road legal this summer and using it as a town truck and what not. if i am going to do this truck its going to be right, the first time. Frankly it comes down to $$$ and i would much rather hold onto that money for my current DD and i just won't have enough time in the summer to do it right.

Now i have not been able to go over this truck with a fine tooth comb in recent years so right now its just wishful thinking (and praying) that it is half as good as i think it is.

My plan is to take the grain box off it and preserve this truck and frame for a time when i can do some thing with it, likely a few years down the road. It currently sits on my grandpas farm exposed to every element, and has endured every element for the last 5-6 years my grandpas owned it, i would guess another 10-20 before that (just a stab in the dark)

What i am PRAYING on is the fact that this truck never saw a pavement road in it life and likely didn't. Given that it has never seen the salt it should be half as good as i think it will be.....

ok ok, enough of this damn rabbling i am wasting every ones times... to the point

I want to separate this frame and cab (assuming it savable) and strip it down to metal. Sand blast the frame and media blast the cab (i'll take a wire wheel or sanding disks to it if i have to, wouldn't be the first time). Now with the idea this is just preservation, what should i put on this frame and cab? I have seen this POR-15 used in alot of project but it looks very... bedliner like... once its on... it ain't coming off. I would be willing to build a shack for it just to keep the snow off it and out of the elements but i don't want to leave it bare metal. Would it better to leave it as is, keep it out of the elements and deal with it when the time comes, or strip it down and spray bomb it or some thing?

Any advice be appreciated

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
hhmm deff some thing to remember but a little pricey considering i would like to take it all off in a few years when i redo it

although, given the way it reacts, if i coated the cab and frame in that stuff, i wouldn't have to worry about building a shelter for it. i could leave it right out in the open saving me the cost of throwing together a shed (which wouldn't be cheap in order to deal with snow load and every thing)

Do you know how hard that stuff is to remove? doutful its easy

yup, not for me then, i want to be able to remove it in a few years... i just want something to keep it from getting worse from here on in

I am looking at the tremclad/rustoluem website and its telling me

"Tremclad seals out moisture, inhibits rust and provides a rich, fade-resistant finish inside and out."

which is exactly what i am looking for it to

Granted, it ain't as good as por-15 or the stuff you posted, but i have seen seom wicked paint jobs done with this stuff and i will be buying a bunch of it anyways for another project..... hhmmm

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well that stuff is for after you have the frame and cab blasted.
you paint the frame and under body of the truck and you will never have to worry about rust again.

make sense... i am just not sure what i would wanna do with it later done the road...

4x4 conversion and cummins swap comes to mind (this is quickly becoming a pipe dream) so i would have to redo the frame anyways

I got a few months to mull it over and decide some thing... just figured i would start with the research now seeing as how i have so much free time

Thanks for that think, i shall keep it in mind

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts