Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Working on the 50 ford again!!

Studebaker made some impressive performance engines right at end before the closed for good. It was just too late in the game to save the company. They had supercharged engines way back as far as 57.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford is the one of the few if only company other than Studebaker to run supercharged engines as well in 57. The F code 312. It was put into t-birds and the full sized cars.

The engine is bolted in the hawk now. I can have this thing running soon. The quicker I get this done the quicker I can get back on the 50!

Last edited:
Got everything in and hooked up but something bound up in the clutch bellhousing area. Engine wouldn't turn. So the transmission and bellhousing have to come out. Ether the clutch is not clearing the bellhousing or the bellhousing was different on the r1. I left the original one from the car on the car so something is not compatible.
4cba7d80ce613dad0470eb4db6af9401.jpg

Found the problem. This might apply to other vehicles as well. The newer diaphragm style pressure plates don't clear the older bellhousings. The Borg and beck style like the original is the only thing that will clear on mine. So something to keep in mind and check if buying a clutch kit from a local parts store. Most will cross over a newer style kit. The pressure plate looked close when sitting next to the original but it's not tapered near enough to clear two places in the bellhousing. Now I'm back to square one on my clutch for the hawk.

The 50 went out to the exhaust shop finally!!!! I will get a new video once I can get down and see the car!!

I have to say this has been one of the best combos on a flathead for sound. Plus flatheads have there own tune to boot. But I guess I'm a little bias because I grew up around this car and I always loved the way it sounded. To me nothing sounds like a flathead with dual smithy muffler and Eco can exhaust tips.

I have been slowly rebuilding the brakes on the Ford for a few weeks now. I have resurfaced the drums and put shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders and hoses on so far. Still have to replace the front bearing and races for the drums so I can put them back on for the last time. I also have a new master cylinder to install but that will be the last thing done. I also ordered a POR 15 kit for the floor and trunk pans, will be trying that out as soon as the weather warms up a little. Trying to get it ready to drive for this years show season. The first cruise in I'm going to try and make is in Somerset Ky on April 22 so we will see it will be road worthy then. If not I might drive my dads 66 impala ss down. My 64 hawk is still down come to find out the R1 289 I swapped in needed a valve job so I'm saving up for the cylinder head parts and labor to get them rebuilt, stude stuff is not cheap.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Wear gloves with that POR15!

Trying my hardest to get the Ford road worthy this week so I can take it to a car cruise! For those close enough to go you should look it up on the web. It called somernights cruise in somerset ky. They do a free cruise-in every month last year they had about 1200 cars. It about an hour and a half from me. All I have left is the master cylinder and front wheel bearings and the Ford is ready to drive!!

Ford Truck Articles