Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Which brand starter?

I'm outfitting my middle aged '02 Taurus with a new starter and need some advice on what brand starter to get. I'm tempted to get this reman Motorcraft, the fourth one down in the orange remanufactured section..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2002,taurus,3.0l+v6+ohv,1385771,electrical,starter+motor,4152

For $123 that seems reasonable for a OE reman. If not this one I'll probably be going for a reman of another brand so why not go OE?

The other reman options I'm seeing at the car stores are...
Napa brand
Bosch
Denso
Driveworks at Advance
Carquest
Duralast
Valucraft
Ultima
Bestest

Should I go with the Motorcraft or one of these? $123 sounds almost too good although I really don't know.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Kick out the bottom six, and then it will still be a crapshoot for the other 4. Having said that, I have a NAPA in my '78. They typically last 1 - 2 years. The last one I bought from NAPA has gone 4 years with no issues, including no heat soak.

I even purchased a mean green starter, which is basically a reconfigured toyota starter to fit other vehicles. It only lasted about 4 years also, but for the money, should have lasted a LOT longer than that.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
As a rule, I take mine to a rebuilder. Look in your area for one.
Local people do a better job than an assembly line, they don't want come backs.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
As a rule, I take mine to a rebuilder. Look in your area for one.
Local people do a better job than an assembly line, they don't want come backs.

Oh, how I wish we had one in this area! The last two have gone out of business for lack of business. It seems nobody wants to wait a week to two weeks for a rebuild.

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
I had to put one on Granny's 99 Sable this fall, I got one from O'Reilly's, as it's near her house, it's been fine, and came with the trigger wire pigtail, which was apparently recalled by Ford, so that was a nice touch.

Word to the wise, I'd change the relay also.

I've got the car at my place now, looks like I'll be doing a heater core ...........

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Ford Truck Articles