Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What the heck?!!

I decided to change the oil in my '73 Dent. What I encountered was totally unexpected. The drain plug was tough to get at and there was a "pan" under the crank case that I suppose was put there to catch the oil as it runs off. There is no way to just drop the oil directly into the catch pan. The photo shows how it works but it just seems that there should have been a different way to design this. I suppose this is stock to the truck. Has anybody found a better solution?
Sorry about the brace in the photo but hope you can see what is happening.

Donald.

Attachments

• oil.jpg
If the sump of the oil pan is at the rear of the motor then I believe its the wrong oil pan.
My 72 with the 302 if a front sump pan.

Bandit, thank you for your reply. So then I guess my next step is to investigate what is the right pan for this engine. I would be interested to know how this pan got on this engine if it is the wrong one...Hmmm

Hoping to get some more suggestions from some of the others on this forum. Am I the only one to have this kind of pan on my truck?

Donald.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
sounds like someone did a engine swap to me..

Sparky, I don't know if someone has swapped the engine or not. I went on line and saw 360 V8 case pans that are identical to the one on my truck. I also have the receipts for the engine rebuild that was done back in 2010. If the engine has been swapped it would have had to have been done long before that.
Lorddurock, the photo you posted is EXACTLY what I had in mind!! The drain plug is in a bit of an odd location but does not interfere with the operation of the truck. I think I will get one of those or even make one and like you said just drive it. Thanks all for your kind suggestions!

Donald.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts