Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What Draws A Person To A Ranger?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Never had one, but have two RBV's. The 4.0 in the 93 Ex is ok, its got highway gearing (cant remember, but its low 3's) gets over 20 mpg with out trying.

The Mountaineer, on the other hand, has a 5.0, 3.73s and still gets almost 20 mpg. And its not a V6. :D

What is your opinion on the Bronco II/Explorer Sport, Junior?

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Hmmm, they do have a cult following like the Jeeps do I guess. Maybe it's just me.

Welp, look at it the other way.

1. If you're driving in an urban/suburban area, the Ranger's a helluva lot easier to park.

2. It actually fits in a std. size garage.

3. Out here, they have extraordinary resale.

4. In the last ten years, the Ranger was beaten only once in JD Powers 3 yr reliability survey, by a Tacoma. The other nine years, the Ranger has documented fewer repairs than that gold-plate standard, the Tacoma.

Throw the affordability into the mix, and you could really ask the question- if it's only one driver and a passenger or two max, why buy a full-size?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I see your points Ernie but last I heard these late model rangers were getting the same or close to the same MPG as a 5.4 F150.....I'm not a fan of the 2.9 or 2.8's either because of the overheating issues.....I guess if I could get a late 80's or early to mid 90's ranger that was 4wd and had a 5-0 with a 5 spd in it I'd be game....

I see your points Ernie but last I heard these late model rangers were getting the same or close to the same MPG as a 5.4 F150.....I'm not a fan of the 2.9 or 2.8's either because of the overheating issues.....I guess if I could get a late 80's or early to mid 90's ranger that was 4wd and had a 5-0 with a 5 spd in it I'd be game....

My dad never had overheating issues with his 2.8L and he beat the **** out of it. :p

My uncle and cousin have a Ranger and a Bronco II with the 2.9L and havent had issues both over 220,000 miles.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon

We were looking at it from a different perspective. Kid had just gotten out of the Army, had a good job, and needed to finance with no prior credit history. To buy late-model used would have meant a stoopid interest rate- and I qualified for Ford's D-Plan. He got first time buyer money (5.9% for 60 mo), $500 FTB rebate, 1500 factory rebate, free A/C (in the form of another rebate), and D-Plan price, which was 5.5% below what the dealer paid Ford for the truck (they get a kickback from ford, though).

Cliffs Notes: truck "stickered" for $23,000 or so, out the door for $17500, payment of about $300/mo (with a down payment), and a new truck warranty. A late model used one would have cost more, factoring in interest rates.

re: 2.9's. I know of two (Nick's buddies). One has about 260,000 on it, the other died at 415,000 (no mis-print). The simple thing to watch on 2.9's is that they overheat only once- there is no second time.

re: 4.0. vs. 5.0. That 4.0 has way more torque than the Ranger has traction as it is (memo: 4.10 gears). As far as gas mileage- I had a '05 F150 4X4 Lariat S/C with a 5.4 and 3.73 gears. Not only could the Ranger run away and hide from it (let's be honest- the 5.4's a dog- sorry), but my truck saw 13 mpg on a good day. Wifey had an Expedition (03) with the same powertrain, same observation. Nice truck, sluggish, crappy gas mileage.

Just isn't any need for a V8 in that size/weight truck. Defeats the whole purpose of owning a compact pickup, IMO.

Edit: I think the world of that 4.0. Ford-Germany has been building variations of that motor since the early 60's, and it's about bombproof.

Last edited:
My 07 is extremely comfortable and can accommodate a "big" person, easily. Come on up to DE and I'll let ya ride in mine! hahaha

careful.... I just may actually do that one day :D

'hah' 'hiding_smilie'

TazDevil07

Go Ahead and Git Some Boy
You are partially right Junior. My husband actually gets better gas mileage with his 07 5.4 F150 FX2 than I do with mine.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
If I remember right, the 1st gen Explorer weighs more than a Ranger, and I know gearing is a big factor, but like I said, I got over 20 MPG highway (20-22) with the 4.0. I would say that is fairly decent mileage, as the thing weighs over 4000 lbs.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
I enjoyed my Ranger because it allowed me to carry enough stuff to make it worthwhile as a truck, but wasn't as large and uneconomical as a full-sized pickup. Even after the 302 swap I was seeing high teens in the city and low to mid 20s on the highway.

My Explorer, on the flip side, has the 4.0L SOHC V6 in it. It's a quick, solid little engine aside from the timing system, and will outrun the V8 from the same model year. But it also drinks the gas at 16 in the city and 18 on the highway.

00BlueOvalRanger

Old Fart Sharpshooter
ive been looking at the ranger, but im worried about me fitting comfy. I'm 6'5" and ~300 pounds...

I was 6'-6" until my back/neck surgery. Now, 6'-5" and 275 lbs.
My '00 Ranger is very comfortable.

Granted, when I bought it, in '04, it had 62,000 miles on it, and I just wanted a truck to toss a mower into the back, and go cut Dad's grass, and to go hunting in.

This truck has been GREAT!!!

It has a 3.0 V6 in it, 4.10 gears (4x4) and an automatic and is a SuperCab (4 dr).
The stereo is incredible!!!!

My youngest daughter won't drive anything else.
She'll move everything out of the driveway, just to get to that truck!
She calls it her "Little Red Chili Pepper".

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If I remember right, the 1st gen Explorer weighs more than a Ranger, and I know gearing is a big factor, but like I said, I got over 20 MPG highway (20-22) with the 4.0. I would say that is fairly decent mileage, as the thing weighs over 4000 lbs.

Mom had a '94 Explorer.

Originally came out of Florida, and was in beautiful condition...but I'd have liked to knock the guy who ordered it upside the head. 4x2, 3.08 gears, and the A4LD. I DID get a couple tankfuls around 23-24 mpg in it, though- running down I-81, just cruising with the big trucks (slow up the hills, let 'er run down the other side). Transmission was starting to go by then, though, and I had to pull the dumb thing out of OD up every grade.

Anyway...from talking to people, if you want mileage, stick with the 4-banger. Toyota's will do about the same if the truck is equipped the same, but.

Another plus to Rangers (though this also applies to F-150s) is that there are so many of them on the road, and so many parts didn't change for so long, you can find just about any part you need on the shelf at any parts house anywhere you go. And they're usually pretty cheap, too.

TazDevil07

Go Ahead and Git Some Boy
plain and simple.............they are just plain SEXAY smilieneenar

but then again if I could afford an 09 F150 FX4, I'd take it! :rolleyes:

BCobe

DWB= Nasty Time
I liked this thread so I wanted to add some stuff! The only problem I have had with the ranger was when I hear my friend say there aint no replacement for displacement... but then again he drives a dodge... Other than that My grandpa who is in his late 60's tells me to never sell that truck and if I did sell it to him... You have to admit also looking at a DWB Ranger that it is damn sexy.... Everyone that I know that has had a ranger says one thing... GOD I MISS THAT TRUCK!They are all driving F150's Chevy's ECT. They all miss the little ranger... Even my friend who had a lighting and a 250 says he misses that truck. Thats gotta amount for something!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
The Rangers are pretty comfortable to drive. They seem to have a good amount of power even though they aren't V8s (unless you do a swap obviously). My neighbor has a 4 cyl. 5 speed and it has been trouble free for the most part. They seem to be very reliable. Seems like a good choice if you live in a city. You have room to haul stuff yet easier to park. I wouldn't mind a nice extended cab ranger. But I do enjoy my fullsize Ranger smilieneenar

loved my ranger, but you're right - the 4.0 4x4 supercab was a gas hog. getting 13/19 and being tight on room with my wife, i, and the dog on a trip just wasn't worth it. my 1993f150 with the 300-6 gets about the same mileage with a lot more room.

that said - the smallness is nice when it comes to parking and off-roading.
although i legally have 6 seats in my f150, i can still only sit 3, maybe 4 comfortably. better than 5 legal seats and only 2 comfortably in the ranger. the way i look at, i only gained 1 seat, but TONS more room for cargo and the dog

for me, i'd rather have the 150, but if i didn't travel so much and pack so heavy, i can see sticking with the ranger for a long time

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts