Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What do you know about Turbos?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
So this gal at work has a husband who is a Ford Truck Fanatic. Apparently he refuses to come and join up because he's part of the 'brotherhood' of the power stroke nation.

Anyway, he has some bad fast fords in his stable. A few years back he had a Lightning but he had a turbo on it (rather than a supercharger). He blew that turbo up, got a new one under warranty, and then sold the truck almost immediately afterward. Before he did that, he returned the truck back to stock and put the supercharger back on.

Anyway, i'm fishing around for a price on this turbo. I don't know the specs, manufacturer... anything really. All I know is that it's been sitting on his shelf and his wifey is more than happy to sell it for him. (She says I am on team 'husband' and she is on team 'bank account')

I'm just gathering parts at this point for my 351w build in the old truck.

What do you know about turbos? How are they rated? What kind air does a turbo need to move to give a mild boost to a 351w?

As a side note, I know the turbo isn't massive. He's building a 351w fox body mustang currently and this one "Wasn't big enough" (per his wife).

Thoughts, concerns, ridicule.... bring it on. :D Tell me what you know because I have only dealt with naturally aspirated vehicles. I'll need a tune, but I have no idea how that works.

Ryan

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
You can run a baby turbo on a 351w.... You won't build much if any power...

So there are some basic questions that need to be answered...

What kind of power are you looking for?

What are you looking to spend? A turbo set up will consist of atleast one custom header unless its a rear mount, then you've got the hot side of the turbo, deciding if you want to intercool it or not, then piping it into the intake. New head gaskets would be highly recommended. If you remain at low boost levels, you MIGHT could run a factory crank, but going forged is HIGHLY suggested (just as Doc) Head's will usually need some work, but not always. Your looking at a MAF swap on the minimum and a standalone system would be easier to tune on and would likely net better results...

If you want to do a turbo build, they are alot of fun. The tune will make you or break you. I've been around some boosted builds and done some tuning on a charged cobra.

I don't want to talk you out of it, but at the same time i don't want to say go for it and it wind up being more than you want or can handle...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I know that turbos belong on either diesels or rice smilietease

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That's the great beauty of a democracy...difference of opinions :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
:beer: :beer: And I do enjoy the turbo whistle on that C7.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
You can do a mild Turbo build, if a mild build is what your wanting, then a number on power and a general idea on what you want to spend would be the best starting point...

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Hmmmmmm.

Here is the first question I got asked when I talked to a couple engine builders when I first started my project...

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?

Think about that and what you want to end up with in the LONG run, reply here and I will let you know where to go from there.

Oh by the way, my answer to that question was...

" When I pull the front 35" tire off the ground on take off, I'll stop putting power to it!" LMAO

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Yeah my dodge diesel dually used to smoke all 6 38's. LOL I miss that truck.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I was just feeling out the knowledge base. I don't know anything about them and I'm going to see what he wants for these parts. If he was giving them away, I was going to take them. If I decide it's too much trouble, they're still worth cash and I could flip them.

My original plan was a nice cammed 351w with some gt40 heads.

Ryan

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Did somebody say turbo charger!
hugeturbo.jpg

Hehe any ways from what i've been told is you can put a Turbo on a rather stock engine but it wont really do any thing unless your up at higher speeds, where turbos shine the best is ricer engine because they are high RPM engines but on small blocks in the city they are more for show than function.
I'd just do a mild top end build cam maybe heads.

Did somebody say turbo charger!
hugeturbo.jpg

Hehe any ways from what i've been told is you can put a Turbo on a rather stock engine but it wont really do any thing unless your up at higher speeds, where turbos shine the best is ricer engine because they are high RPM engines but on small blocks in the city they are more for show than function.
I'd just do a mild top end build cam maybe heads.

BS....

A Properly sized turbo WILL improve any engine...

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
................Here is the first question I got asked when I talked to a couple engine builders when I first started my project...

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?..................

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid No truer words have ever been spoken when it comes to making a vehicle go fast. That is signature material.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Just sticking a turbo on a stock small block will make it perform better?

Correct, like what he said.. smiliepeelout Just don't get carried away, because there can be and will be repercussions if "you" do so.. 'smiliepig3'

And they can range from "turbo lag" to detonation even a cracked block..

smilieIagree smiliewhathesaid

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts