Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What did you work on today

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Looks like a great visit with mom, glad she is still with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Been a wet rainy day, I worked on nothin but my boredom

6826b864552bd0b8d2f70802ca29c2e9.jpg

3406 B oil cooler leaking water , cold water leak . Sorry for the dark picture , the shop is dark but it keeps me dry !!

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
I always hated doing those. I had one that always leaked, sometimes it would dump everything, sometimes just a small leak. I went after it 1 day and instead of doing like you are there I pulled the whole thing out and found the bottom brackets at the front that bolt up to the oil pan were missing and broken. No more leak after that. IIRC it was in a 627F scraper, but could have been a 637 also[emoji848]

I always hated doing those. I had one that always leaked, sometimes it would dump everything, sometimes just a small leak. I went after it 1 day and instead of doing like you are there I pulled the whole thing out and found the bottom brackets at the front that bolt up to the oil pan were missing and broken. No more leak after that. IIRC it was in a 627F scraper, but could have been a 637 also[emoji848]

This is in a T800 . I replaced the water pump in 2017 and the pump came with 2 of the three needed O rings . So I reused the best looking o ring and it leaked only when cold .
So I pulled it (yesterday) and resealed it as well as blowing out every tube in the exchanger . I also did the valve cover gaskets , they were starting seep .

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Here's a question for use guys......anybody know anything about swapping out a DDEC 1 to a DDEC 2?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That sounds like a controller???

Yes, Detroit Diesel's first generation.....two boxes, one is the ECM one is the EDU which controls the injectors

Depends on if the inputs to the ecm are the same. I’m not sure if you can upgrade to the better processor....

The DDEC 2 is a one piece unit, the sensors are the same, typical GM off the shelf stuff. I have been led to believe that the cams in the DDEC 1 and mechanical are the same....whereas the DDEC 2 and up use different cams....but have not been able to verify.
I can still get DDEC 1 units...$4k....but no EEPROM.....and they are not easy to find, plus the BIN file would have to be burned.

What are or were they in I can pull a schematic

1988 Bluebird. 8V92TA

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Deere or Cat not a problem, Komatsu, Volvo have to do a little diggin, but Detroit's have to do alot of diggin, but ill see what I can come up with

DD changed the firing order that’s why the cams are different. I believe the cam / firing order change was in the EEC 4 family but I might be wrong . I believe you can upgrade easily but be warned the dd2 is very very sensitive to voltage spikes .
If you changed cams then went to EEC5 you could run 24 volts to it ....

DD changed the firing order that’s why the cams are different. I believe the cam / firing order change was in the DDEC4 family but I might be wrong . I believe you can upgrade easily but be warned the DDEC2 is very very sensitive to voltage spikes .
If you changed cams then went to DDEC5 you could run 24 volts to it ....

I lied the ddec2 uses the “ electronic cams” ddec1 is basically a Mechanical engine with some electronic stuff on it .
My advice , go backwards in parts. Go all Mechanical and go for reliability..
Pull the blower install a Gov. racks, link rods, injectors and run an air throttle.
I bet you could easily get 1300 pounds torque or better .

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
IMG_5690.jpg

I worked on that today

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts