Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Weak HPOP?

So the 6.0 HPOP can put out up to ~4kpsi of pressure if commanded. I've noticed over the last year or so that my max pressure has dropped from 3.8kpsi to 3.3kpsi at WOT.

The truck starts ok (STC fitting has not failed. Atleast not totally) when cold or warm except after a long haul with my 5th wheel. I will get to that later. The truck does smoke pretty heavily on first start up with a pretty strong diesel smell.

Is there a chance my HPOP STC fitting is ever so slightly leaking? As I was saying about towing my 5ver; the truck does fine on long trips (i.e., turning on and off the whole trip) except the first start the next day. The truck always takes 10 to 20 seconds to start. So towing to the campsite and turn the truck off. Let it sit till the next morning and that first start takes a LONG time. Any ideas?

BTW, this is the most informative 6.0 site I have ever seen. Keep up the great work black!

blacksnapon

Staff member
you also can have a leaky or cracked branch tube, leaky or cracked oil rail (including end caps), or a leaky o-ring on an injector allowing high pressure oil to bleed off.

blacksnapon

Staff member
For an accurate diagnosis, air testing would be necessary. Some slightly extensive teardown is necessary to get to the point where you can test the high pressure oil system.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
given the cold start issue, have you had the latest reprogram? the heat flash could solve your cold start issue. as fas as the 500 psi loss, it could be a normal issue, then again it might not. a 5 second limit is set for "normal" start time when hot, and if it falls in this window, even air testing might not find the issue. before we get elbow deep, what kind of oil and filter are you using.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm using factory oil filters with Rotella 5w40 changed every 5K. I've had the inductive heating flash for over a year. It never did solve the heavy smoke in the AM. The smoke doesnt really smell sweet, it seems to be unburnt fuel cause it will burn your eyes!

BTW, I had the FICM replaced about 8 months ago due to having a code for each injector present.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
You could have a couple of different issues, the first being the IPR could be giving some problems with sticking. It could also be the STC fitting leaking alittle, (not fully blown out yet) the most common thing i've seen is the orings going bad on the plugs in the oil rails and also the oil feed tubes. The airtest may not show anything unless the truck is hot first. How many miles on the truck?

I have 45K miles on the truck. I do know 3 other people with 05s that lost their STC fitting around 40K miles but theirs did it in dramatic fashion.

bowtie, as stated above, I've had the inductive heating flash for over a year. The truck starts ok in the morning, it just smokes heavy white for the first 1/2 mile or so.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I have 45K miles on the truck. I do know 3 other people with 05s that lost their STC fitting around 40K miles but theirs did it in dramatic fashion.

bowtie, as stated above, I've had the inductive heating flash for over a year. The truck starts ok in the morning, it just smokes heavy white for the first 1/2 mile or so.

I have noticed that as well with the 05's, usually when the stc completly fails it doesn't run, but some do start out slow. I recomend bringing it into the dealer for a air test when hot.

I live in WA once I was station at Ft lewis, was there 4 year. I love it

don't know about great but it has some good points.

Ford Truck Articles