Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Weak cylinder/injector #7

1995 f150 5.8 262k

So I just replaced the distributor for a random stall issue, which seems fixed, and now I’m getting a code for weak injector #7 from the cylinder balance test. It only failed the first test and passed the second. I know this isn’t the best way to truly test the cylinders/injectors but it’s what I have.

No KOEO/KOER codes and just a slight shake sometimes at idle but RPM never falls below 5k. The spark plugs and wires were replaced about 5/6 years ago.

And the fuel injectors…yeah those have never been cleaned for the life of the truck.

I was thinking of pulling the spark plug and seeing how it looks and maybe cleaning the fuel injectors with the sea foam in the fuel rail method, but I’m worried about knocking gunk loose and causing myself more issues.

What do you guys think?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
5.8 is a bugger to get not to cross fire between cyl 7 & 8.
you need to buy a new high pro set of wires. put Motocraft plugs back in, as the 5.8 don't like anything else.
Me knowing this I did just the opposite od what I'm telling you on 2 of my trucks recently. Used stock type wires and ngk plugs. The 5.8 missed so bad I thought the transmission was taking a poo, converter lockup.
I had a friend suggest powerbrake it in reverse, and sure enough high speed miss.

My 94 ho 5.0 uses the 5.8 firing order, so same problem. new plugs, new wires, and that one new motor.
high speed miss.
Soooooo
long story, I'll screenshot the wires you need from rockauto, and pick up Motocraft plugs

make sure to separate the wires with the separators provided, may even pick up another pack at the local auto supply.
dielectric grease on both ends, and cruise on!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I looked it up as a 94 5.8. They all are pretty much the same.
The chart says what whire goes where
1bceb6971f95dec27a771cc96ae040d7.jpg
00059db10c511a25703f7060595541a2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Like I stated, the more you keep them separated, the better they do. This is the ho5.0
8569e4a46070b9f4c62f4d8d664dc487.jpg
520626179c4951e35088073cb0f5915f.jpg

Wow that looks clean!! I definitely don’t have separators like that, I think I’ve lost half of them. I’ll make sure to get them on with the new wires though.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
1 set comes with the wires. You can buy them at advance, autozone, etc

Pay special attention to #4, which in my bundle you see i actually put a piece of wire loom on to go under the plenum, and 7-8. Those are the trouble makers. Look at your firing order and you will see why.

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
The 90 5.8 isn't so pretty, because of emissions equipment, but it is still possible to seperate
383642c93e9f12975fd6cd20ac53286b.jpg
eee1b6aa7142797ef5f6efd08ff22080.jpg
23165d95b9c0e3c7b8706984d383aa11.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Lmao. Posted that 5 years ago for you when I redid the exhaust manifolds and emissions, posted it today for the fresh wires. left them zip ties long like that just for you.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Lmao. Posted that 5 years ago for you when I redid the exhaust manifolds and emissions, posted it today for the fresh wires. left them zip ties long like that just for you.

I love the things you do to make people happy. :rofl:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
This should make you happy then father doug. Restrorodding my 89 f 350
Superduty axles, and a bunch of other goodies.
c0eea63db59986f165d945904f46e464.jpg
b335f35db3473e5b87b78d711f982a3a.jpg
9f8a99c2e983a93e6c5cb6d2377c559f.jpg
e28ff7e64edcde7c78a041a35ddeb008.jpg
f923e7dc7108a7240776bd76c3557a76.jpg

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I've always secretly wanted to do that to my '78. Old school look with the modern necessities. And yes, at my age, they are necessities. How is the fit?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Some things are available, some im building, fabricating.
It's an interesting project, lots of research.
Currently thinking about abs brakes all the way around, even though I have already run the lines to everything but the master cyl.
What's the famous saying....
Everything is subject to change

Fellro

Staff member
My opinion here in rust country is yes, use it. Also use dielectric grease on the plug wire boots.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'm guessing antiseize on sparkplugs is not a good idea. Antiseize can change the torque value of the plug, and the nickel plating on the plug acts as antiseize. Somebody can verify my theory on that. If I am wrong, I'll just go back to my hole and stay there. :D

^^^Guess I'll go back to my hole, Roger.

Fellro

Staff member
I have heard the arguments but my experience is it helps for getting them out the next time. I have also had cars come in with the plugs so rusted up the center ceramic blew out... Around here, if you don't do something, the plugs will get rusted up so bad they are difficult to remove. Many bolts are the same thing, the plating doesn't hold up to the road salts. Now in Florida it may not be as much of an issue.

Never heard the nickel plating would help as antisieze, just corrosion inhibitor. As far as torque, shouldn't really be an issue as the spark plugs don't hold a load like say a head bolt.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I have done both. Not a fan of gooping on the antiseeze, but a thin coat should be fine. Absolutely on the dielectric grease on both ends of the wires

New plugs and wires are in! I used a very small amount of anti seize.

I’ll drive her for a few days and she how she feels, run the balance test and then I’ll post again.

Thanks for the help!

Ford Truck Articles