Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ways to help bring in more members and attract new activity

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I think part of the problem is YouTube. There seems to be a video for anything. So actually coming to the forums for tech advice is probably less likely.

Ludachris

Staff member
I think part of the problem is YouTube. There seems to be a video for anything. So actually coming to the forums for tech advice is probably less likely.
That's probably true as well Dave. And yet, even with Youtube you still see a ton of people posting questions on FB and in other forums.

Hopefully we can get more people to share videos they post on YT here. Another idea is to get site leaders to browse YT for helpful videos and create threads for those here. Maybe I can create a "How-To" section where we can gather links to those videos and also allow our members to post their own articles and videos as well (it can be like a library section). I do this on a couple other forums and it works fairly well.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Seeing how things are playing out, probably a better task to focus on for now would be to encourage the engagement and retention of what looks to be a dwindling community of a few members. Don't worry about YT, FB, etc, etc, focus on behaviors and actions right here.

Ludachris

Staff member
Seeing how things are playing out, probably a better task to focus on for now would be to encourage the engagement and retention of what looks to be a dwindling community of a few members. Don't worry about YT, FB, etc, etc, focus on behaviors and actions right here.
That's what I've been focused on for weeks now. Working on engaging with existing members who are still active here, asking them to submit their trucks to the Truck Showcase section, asking them to post updates in the associated build threads for those truck profiles, asking them to submit more Ford truck content that will help attract other members to follow suit and do the same, and posting Ford truck news on my own to try and help spur some discussions.

I'll keep encouraging that and trying to reengage members who are no longer active, but no matter what is done on that front, we absolutely need new members to join and participate to keep the forum going. We don't really have enough active members to sustain the forum as it stands, even if they were to increase their participation a little - hell, many of the active members don't seem to have much Ford truck content to post, which doesn't help matters. If we can get members to start posting more truck content, that should help get more members in commenting on that content, and it might encourage more Q&A too.

Fellro

Staff member
So I guess gleaning info from YT and bringing it here is kind of a win-win, they get more viewership and we get more traffic? Never really thought about that much.

Ludachris

Staff member
So I guess gleaning info from YT and bringing it here is kind of a win-win, they get more viewership and we get more traffic? Never really thought about that much.
Especially if we can work on organizing videos into categories, to make something of a library. If people know they can come here and find quality how-to info and videos, organized nicely, it would lure more people in.

Last edited:

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
. If we can get members to start posting more truck content, that should help get more members in commenting on that content, and it might encourage more Q&A too.
Unfortunately The only truck content I maybe able to share is all the broken things I get to fix at work daily.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Unfortunately The only truck content I maybe able to share is all the broken things I get to fix at work daily.

Maybe you can become the next Diesel Tech Ron of the forum.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Maybe you can become the next Diesel Tech Ron of the forum.
Believe it or not I was one of the moderators of the ask a tech forum back in 2010 to 2012 ish. Before the mobile devices I had to log on with my PC lol. I don’t mind lending my knowledge.

Ludachris

Staff member
That would actually be a great thing if you can do that. I'm working on getting a video upload button added to make it easy to upload videos directly to the site, as opposed to having to go to Youtube to upload it and then come back here to post the link.

Ludachris

Staff member
If anyone would like to test the new "Add Video" button when posting a new message in a thread, I could use a tester. I don't have a Ford truck video on hand to test...

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

Looks like it works

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Well it did when i uploaded it. Now it not

Ludachris

Staff member
Looks like it's working. Well, actually it looks like I can see it but nobody else can, as Youtube just emailed me about it saying that they made it private. Hmmm... well, let me ask them wth is going on.

Ludachris

Staff member
I'm wondering if it's because the video title is the same as this thread title... which they think is "deceptive"... hey Shawn, can you upload a video in another thread, where the title is more relevant to what the video is?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Weird part was i didnt give it a title. Site never asked for it. So dunno how it got a title on the video. I just picked something random to test with. I cant even see daves video.

Ludachris

Staff member
Yeah, I think adding a video to this thread is the problem... I think. The video takes on the title of the thread, which must be causing something to trigger on their end, causing them to change the video to private. This is the first time I've seen this happen. I have other forums running this and haven't had this happen.

You guys can try adding a video to a different thread, where the video is a little more relevant to the thread it's being posted in. Uploading to this thread looks to be pointless, even though it shouldn't.

Ford Truck Articles