Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Water pump and timing chain cover

Fellro

Staff member
As long as nothing changed in the relationship, it is fine. Only if the chain hopped a tooth or such would it be an issue. Never hurts to double check though after all is tight.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Agree with the 2 above.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
No. If the timing chain was on and in place, everything should still be good. Sorry, didn't see the other answers until after I posted this.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
We should be here, unless we melt in this heat

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Ya. Those funny " green" binoculars dont work during the day. Hard to pick out the proper target

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
How did it turn out?

Still waiting on the timing cover! This is ridiculous. I canceled my order from NAPA because a week later they still hadn’t shipped it! I ordered another one from autozone that was supposed to be one day shipping and it is now estimated to arrive next weekend...dammit

I did rotate the engine to TDC and everything looks good. I’m just sitting here with all my shiny new parts waiting for the last one to get it back together!!

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Shipping has absolutely sucked a donkey **** here lately. I've got 3 items that were supposed to be here 2 weeks ago. 2 are somewhere in transit, and 1 still ain't shipped.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Shipping here is still reasonable, when they put it on the right truck. :headbang:

We can usually get two day shipping, and that's including a day of Pony Express from Billings to where we live.

I ordered a 65" television from Dell, which took 4 days from Illinois. They delivered it truck freight(free shipping). The driver opened the 40' van, and that was the only item in the truck.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Shipping here sucks. I live in md. Package went from nj to texas, then came back to here. Took 2 weeks. No dam wonder the post office is going broke

Cover came today, got it on with the water pump, next up ...harmonic balancer! What a freakin nightmare. What are the chances that I actually got this cover correctly lined up with all the gaskets and RTV still good ������ well I tried.

Dustybumpers you’re out here?!! I’m down at PAX, are you up north or south?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Annapolis
You need a damper install kit or you will strip the threads in the crank. Dont hit it with a hammer.
Advance will "rent" you one

Ok, just picked one up from AutoZone!

For the Harmonic balancer install, I'm seeing a few different recommendations for oil/rtv: should I put oil on inside & outside of Harmonic balancer before installing? Also should I put rtv on key and keyhole?

Thanks!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Keyway tiny bit of oil so it slips some oil on crank, don't go crazy. Put some oil in the rubber in the seal with your finger so it is lubed. If you don't, first crank over will dry rip the rubber and it will leak. Put a dab of permagasket in the corner of the oil pan and timing cover. It will squeeze out what it don't want

So the Harmonic balancer installer wasn't deep enough, but a short pipe fitting from Lowe's did the trick!

Everything is back together, just need to do an oil change and fill the coolant up.

Thank you so much for all the help, that sure was a learning experience.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Glad its done, and glad you could do it. Nothing like fixing your own truck successfully

Ford Truck Articles