Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Was my tranmission service bad?

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
I brought my dads 1999 F150 into the dealer today to have the transmission fluid changed. I was sold the "transmission" service for $200. Now for some reason, I wasn't all on my game today, because I completely forgot to ask them if that service included a pan drop, cleaning, and filter change...Does anyone know if for $200 that is what they did, or did they just blast some new fluid through the lines, replacing the old? If that is the service I did get, should I demand that they drop the pan and replace the filter?

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
The trans shop i worked at a few years back, it was 250...
Got the lines blasted, the fluid drained, the pan pulled and cleaned, plus a new filter...

I would suspect that your pan was dropped and the filter was changed... Along with a line blasting...
Wouldn't hurt to call and check though... So you know what to expect.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Can't dredge up any useful information on any of the Ford dealerships in greater Portland (heck- the only name I can come up with is Casco Bay Ford)...but seeing as they're a dealership (and thus relatively high volume) just call up tomorrow and tell them you were told by a friend you should get a trans service done on your '99 F-150 and were wondering what that cost and what it includes...

FordF350Baby

95 F350 w/ 460
Maine
Can't dredge up any useful information on any of the Ford dealerships in greater Portland (heck- the only name I can come up with is Casco Bay Ford)...but seeing as they're a dealership (and thus relatively high volume) just call up tomorrow and tell them you were told by a friend you should get a trans service done on your '99 F-150 and were wondering what that cost and what it includes...

But do you suppose that may make me look weird if i do decide to bring it back to get the filter changed? The way I like it done is drop the pan, and have a continuous flow of fluid through the lines while shifting through the gears and all the fluid from behind the torque converter get pushed out with the pan off so there's no chance for guck and dirt to be recirculated through the transmission. But i KNOW no one would do that..

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So what if it does make you look weird?

If your that concerned...take it to another dealership or mechanic.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts