Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wacky Speedo!

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
No, not that kind!! EEwww!! smilietease

My speedometer went wacky today. I drove Burt to work and the speedo is all over the place and not consistently so. It sometimes shows 75mph when I KNOW I'm only going around 35-40mph. Then it will fall in line correctly for a while and then go off again. Is it possibly broken teeth on the gear wheel in the dash? or the sender loose on the tranny housing ? or??

Any ideas on what to look for ?

Thanks guys!
Dak

No, not that kind!! EEwww!! smilietease

My speedometer went wacky today. I drove Burt to work and the speedo is all over the place and not consistently so. It sometimes shows 75mph when I KNOW I'm only going around 35-40mph. Then it will fall in line correctly for a while and then go off again. Is it possibly broken teeth on the gear wheel in the dash? or the sender loose on the tranny housing ? or??

Any ideas on what to look for ?

Thanks guys!
Dak
Mine did this once. Check for loose connection behind the gauge cluster.

Cables binding because it needs oil. Take both ends loose , drip oil into the tube at the dash end and blow it through with compressed air ,
until you see it coming out at the drive gear. Hold the end with a rag so you don't blow air into your hand.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Don't have much to add on wacky speedo's... But Chris has a few tacky speedo's. :rofl:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I've got the same issue in the Bronco Dak...had it since I bought the thing. I suppose I should fix it huh? HAHA. Anyway, when I pulled the gear at the end of the cable, it appears fine. So I'd attempt the oil next. I've also been told it's possible for the speedo cable to get rounded/wallowed out. And finally, I wanna say it was Buck (maybe not) that was having issues similar to this and it was his drive gear.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I did have a drive gear problem, but I'm betting that the speedo cable itself is dry. At least that's the most common problem. I'd start there and also make sure there is nothing wrong with the gear.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Mine did this when I put the transmission in years back and then the cable snapped. I replaced the cable and it worked perfect for 5 minutes and the cable broke again. I've just given up on having a speedometer :rolling laugh:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
By gear oil, do you mean like, 80w90????

Ford Truck Articles