Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

V10 or Diesel ?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
you seem to be having more luck with older gas trucks Gen 8-9 460 with a C6 is the best .. soo get a few.. rebuild them in your shop and it still didnt reach the price of a new truck!

just my 2 cents

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Well it's kinda like this- I doubt any of my summer help could start anything with a carb these days. Second, I'm in WI and they really salt the roads here,so much that collectors are eying up a 1982 GMC crew cab I have as there are very few pre 88 trucks here, especially crew cab 4x4 Dually's that are not in the junkyard. Lastly, if I spend ANY more time in the shop my wife will kill me, mildly put.
I ordered a new V-10 F350 4x4 CC 4x4 Dually 2 weeks back and I was told 8 to 10 week build time, 3/36 warranty set up ready to go. The contract it's used for should pay it off in 2 yrs or so and all we need to do is service it. If only the other 91 things with gas engines I own were that good...........

I should've mentioned, I have a buddy in Chicago that's a Fleet manager for one of the largest Ford Stores in the country (they also have Dodge and Chebbie). If anyone can find something, he can. let me know if you need contact info and I'll hunt it down for you.

The V10 is a 5.4 with 2 cylinders added.

And those 2 cylinders mean alot at every stoplight when trailering. One of my old Dod** had a V10 and for power it was great. I drove my friends F350 CC SRW w/4.10's and it is way different than my 5.4 as the power starts down low and builds from there.
Don't get me wrong, the 5.4 is a good engine, has never given us any trouble and makes a great plow truck, you dont need to be gentle to avoid wheelspin. It will probably outlast the truck, as almost 90K mi and no problems at all.
What it is not good for is 11.5K pounds of 24' trailer driving around this hilly town. You can do it but it is working very hard bordering on abuse. We do too much stop and start for a diesel.
Many of us will miss the V10, a few will not

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Ok, lets go this straight only the EXTREMELY early 6.0s suck, the others ones are decent unless they are modded crazily. The 6.4 is a fine unit. Don't make me bring up the GM 6.5 diesels.

On another note I don't know how soon you're looking into buy this but 2010 is the last year for the 6.4 and the 6.8 V10. The 6.4 will be replaced by a 6.7 and the V10 will be replaced by a 6.2 V8. I don;t know if i'd be comfortable buying a early first model year engine. Just my 2c.

I am driving a early 03 with 6.0 with a 5spd with 175,000 miles on it that has all 8 original injectors and is getting hand calculated 20 mpg. So be careful on generalizations.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Turbo lag sucks, but if you use the granny gear (a useless shift in my book) turbo lag is nonexistant. And at double the fuel mileage as a V10, for $.012 a gallon more its really a no brainer.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Back to the original post question, I have driven a 5.4 a v10, a 7.3, a 6.0 and a 6.4. The 6.0 was plagued by alot more internet problems than that of actual numbers. More 7.3's die on the side of the road every day with a CPS failure, albiet it is an easy fix, they still leave you stranded. I own a 6.4 CC LWB DRW 4X4 and get a consistant 13-14 with it. The 6.4 as all new DPF equipped trucks is prone to loading up the DPF with excessive idling. That in mind, the entire engine strategy is much different than that of all earlier diesels. My 6.4 warms up much quicker than my previous 2 6.0l trucks. 5k oil changes vs 3k oil changes, fuel mileage vs fuel price, initial cost differential, all have a big impact on the initial buy, vs payout. The diesel will always retain a higher resale value as well. I would give Ford the benifit of the doubt on the 6.7 PSD.

I'm doing this fairly soon and my dealer says before July you can still get the V10.
And as far as the 6.5 Gm Diesel goes I made that mistake also. Still have the 2 trucks but not with the 6.5 engine. When the diesel pickup thing started Ford didn't know how to so they wen't to Navistar(International truck) and learned from them. Dodge did the same with Cummins. GM thought they knew everything when they new nothing about diesel, and about the time that GM realized they knew nothing they went to Isuzu who they bought an interest in and "adapted" a diesel engine.
That's what Ford did back about 20 some yrs ago with the 6.9 diesel so does that mean GM is 20 yrs behind ford or what?

The 6.2/5 diesels arn't all that bad, I can point you to a couple of folks that would disagree with you.. Also seen dyno sheets for a 300hp build..

I know thats nothing by todays standards, considering its an IDI engine designed for mpg thats not too shabby...

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I knew a hotshot drive that had 576,000 on a 6.5.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Back on track though, a couple lawnmowers probably don't constitute a diesel, although the gas burners have a hard time getting out of their own way empty. I would still own a diesel even if I was just pulling a 17ft bass boat.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
the 6.5 turbos powered our HMMWVs in Iraq, and while they lacked power, that was probably the only thing we didnt break on our trucks. (IEDs don't count, no engine stands up to a big metal shotgun)

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
the 6.5 turbos powered our HMMWVs in Iraq, and while they lacked power, that was probably the only thing we didnt break on our trucks. (IEDs don't count, no engine stands up to a big metal shotgun)

and I'm willing to bet ya'll tried pretty hard... :rofl:

Back on track though, a couple lawnmowers probably don't constitute a diesel, although the gas burners have a hard time getting out of their own way empty. I would still own a diesel even if I was just pulling a 17ft bass boat.

You would have to know what a lawn mower is to us to justify that. Our snallest one is an Exmark 26" walkbehind @ 156 lbs. Barely used. Normal set of mowers when going out for bigger lawns goes like this: Start with 24' tandem 16Kgvw trailer @ 4150 lbs empty. Add to that a Toro Groundsmaster 4x4 345 72' mower w/cab @ 2175 lbs. to that add another Toro GM 328 diesel 72" w/cab diesel mower @ 2235 lbs. AND then strap down our Toro GM 580D 4x4 16' mower @ 5371 lbs and close the ramp. In the truck bed is normally a Hustler 1748 walkbehind 48" mower with sulky @ 742 lbs, 2 string trimmers, 2 baskpack blowers, call it 50 lbs. And there is always 25 gal fuel on the trailer frame rack @ around 8 lbs per gallon.
And we have found 600 ft lbs of torque, wether gas or diesel is just that. What is important to us is what will last in the start, go 2 mi, unload and mow for 45 min to 2hrs and repeat for 10hrs, 4days week.

You guys in Iraq should have trouble free 6.5's. I'm told by my National Guard people that they are not shut off much and are different than the civi ones as there is no turbo, uses a different injection pump and have a forged crank instead of the cast civi one. Ours broke cranks(2), had turbo wastegate failure that lifted head off block (1) and injection pump failure that holed a piston (1). Leaving them run would be nice, but I've 2 trucks stolen doing that, and there are to many hills here for no go motors

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
You guys in Iraq should have trouble free 6.5's. I'm told by my National Guard people that they are not shut off much and are different than the civi ones as there is no turbo, uses a different injection pump and have a forged crank instead of the cast civi one. Ours broke cranks(2), had turbo wastegate failure that lifted head off block (1) and injection pump failure that holed a piston (1). Leaving them run would be nice, but I've 2 trucks stolen doing that, and there are to many hills here for no go motors
Depending on the truck, they are turbos. base model soft skinned HMMWVs usually arent, but uparmoreds are. Our trucks usually ran all day. start it up in the morning, shut it off in the evening. Use about 3/4 of a tank per mission.

Did you guys end up with the dodge?

I hate to tell everyone but yes we did. After the Dealership told me no more V-10's and needed more cash for 6.2 gas or diesel and wait 8-10 weeks beyond I had no option but to cancel the order and go see Pogi at the Dodge dealership. Yes I ended up with an 11mpg diesel that is plain white 4 door dually 4x4 with an automatic 3 weeks ago. Barely got it lettered and it was hooked up and working. This one has way more warranty than the last one and for $35,750 not terribly expensive. That being said I will tell everyone now- IT WAS NOT WHAT I WANTED BUT WHAT WAS NEEDED TO KEEP THE CONTRACT THAT EVERYONE HERE HAD WORKED TO GET.
If this works out right in 2 yrs we will replace our Caddy powered Chevy dually and by then I hope to get another FORD!

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts