Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

turn key and nothing

So my truck stopped starting one day. The battery was good. I tried banging on the starter. I was able to jump the solenoid and get it to start. I bought a new solenoid but had the same issue. So I put in a ignition switch. Same problem. The truck wont start in park or neutral.

Yesterday I got some gas and when I left the station the truck died idleing. I made it home and it died again when I tried to put it in reverse. Today I turn the key and nothing. No lights, wipers, fuel pump doesnt come on.

Gonna check the battery in the morning, other then that Im stumped!

88 f350 460.

well today I turned the key and the fuel pump and dash lights came on. Hooked a multimeter up to the battery and had 9.3 volts. So that explains part of it. When this first happened, I called AAA for a jump and the battery came back good. So I dont think I;m dealing with a battery problem.

Now I have to figure whats draining the battery and why the starter wont turn without jumping the solenoid.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If you are only reading 9 volts, that is not enough to engage the solenoid.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Maybe your alternator has taken a turn for the worse and you're not recharging your battery. Again, I think I'd keep those terminals clean and check your ground cable.

Ryan

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Plates can come apart within the battery, the battery might have been on it's way out...often they will read a good open circuit voltage but as soon as a load is on them, they will fail.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
So you think the new battery will solve it all?

Without actually being there and seeing for myself, it's tough to say...your posts would indicate that the battery is the issue.
Do you have a battery load tester?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Take the battery to a parts store and have it tested. If it shows amperage is bad, but voltage is good - replace it. If the amperage is good and voltage is low, you may have a charging issue.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts