Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

trouble starting when hot

We have a 1986 Ford F150, V8, EFI. It has just over 77,300 miles. It will crank when cold, but once it has been driven and warmed up, it doesn't want to start again. Just had it worked on this week and the garage replaced the fuel filter, the starter and put new battery cable ends on. Was hoping that would fix the problem but it didn't. Any thoughts as to what might be going on? Would appreciate any ideas - Debbie

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
My 85 used to do this as well. I ended up swapping out a lot of parts to get it to work, im not sure what happened but eventually it stopped doing it. I wish i had more info for you.

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I don't know if you got it fixed but check your pip sensor

Fellro

Staff member
I have to ask as I have seen start and crank used interchangeably, which really they aren't, so crank = rotate, start = fire and run. With that, is it turning over slower or anything? I ask this as the starter should only be suspect if it isn't turning over very well, same with cable ends. If it spins over normally and doesn't fire off, then it is either fuel or spark typically. If that is the case, the TFi is definitely something to check out.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i had a chevy that did that... on it - it happened to be the starter solenoid... it had a small split inside on the metalic contacts that ran from the battery lead... once the truck warmed up itd expand and separate that lead so it wouldnt be able to get it started again... had to remember to park on the top of hills so i could pop the clutch to get it to restart...

dunno if thats what your experiencing.. but figured id throw it out there...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts