Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trasmission Issues???

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I now have 202,500 miles on my truck.

I have always changed or flushed my transmission fluid every 30,000 miles or earlier and changed the internal and external filters as required.

Earlier this past week, my local dealer dropped the pan and the fluid was bright red (25,000 miles on fluid) and nothing noticable in the pan and only minor stuff on magnet. External filter replaced and and nerw fluid was put back in.

The next day, I started smelling what is believed to smell like "burning tranny fluid" and it still smells like it 3 days later!!!

I went back to the dealer and they double checked the fluid level they topped it off and made sure when hot that it was on the "H" on the dip stick and to keep an eye on it.

There are no visible leaks and nothing elese can be seen wrong... but dam, the smell of burning tranny fluid is bad!!!!

Is it coincidence that my tranny is going out all of a sudden or what else can I check? My P/S fluid level is still good and so is my motor oil and so is my coolant.... but some fluid is burning and stinking up the cab of my truck when at a stop light!!!!!

My tranny drives and shifts just fine through all the gears (hot and cold).. so I am at a lost... as is the dealer!!!!

what do I check... or if they hook up to the computer, would a "code" be thrown if the tranny was starting to "slip" or burn itself up?

Need help quick before the holidays.

Thanks,

Jeff

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I don't know a solution to your problem or where to look, but the last question you asked about tranny slip - yes, there are codes that deal with excessive torque converter slip and things of that nature.

Ryan

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I would just make sure the tranny is not over full these are very tempormental, if over full it will blow some fluid out of the vent and possibly get it on the exhaust pipe. Or when they filled the trans they could have spilled some down the side of the engine onto the exhaust manifold. I would peek under the truck to check for any leaks, look on the pass side thats where the fill tube is and makesure it's not wet. There would probably be no codes if the CEL isn't on, these trannys are very smart and know when they slip setting the check engine light on.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I think I may not have a tranny problem but rather the "exhaust fumes in the cab" problem.

There is a TSB (05-13-9) that I came across that may be what I have and what my local dealer mechanic thought it could be?

My local dealer mechanic thought that with 203,000 miles that my "Y-pipe" and/or exhaust manafolds could be leaking since the motor was made without gaskets and the "fix" is to use gaskets (wow, who was the brain that designed this motor or exhaust system)!!!

On the Excursion, they use insulation on the Y-pipe so the flex pipe or connections are not visible and no soot is readily seen on any of the parts of the cab... but the mechainc did see what he thought was a dark spot right on the manifold by one bolt?

Obviously, with 203,000 miles I am well out o warrenty, but I am concerned with exhaust fumes getting into the cab when at stop lights and such and more concernd that Ford knows that there is an issue with the design of this system (the y-pipe and tubes) and that no gaskets were used on the exhaust pipes when exiting the manifolds!!!!

Seems like for safety sake, this should be a lifetime warrenty coverage issue???

Thanks,

What kind of cost and time are we looking at to fix these things and does it make sense to fix them both at the same time or try the "y-pipe" tube fix first and see... then the exhaust manifolds if that was not it?

Thanks,

I think the Y pipe first, four bolt & nuts easy fix. new hareware the exhaust manafold are boltrd to the block and have been there a while. how hard is it to replaced one of them.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Sometimes with a exhaust leak you will hear a hissing nose also. The Y-pipes usually crack at the flex joint. The exhaust manifolds usually leak at the heads some but not excessive unless a bolt broke or fell out of the head. A quick way to check is open the hood on a cold engine with someone outside looking under the hood, attempt to start without letting the glow plugs heat up when the truck starts you will see a cloud of smoke from under the hood if theres a leak. This will tell you where the problem is.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Sometimes with a exhaust leak you will hear a hissing nose also. The Y-pipes usually crack at the flex joint. The exhaust manifolds usually leak at the heads some but not excessive unless a bolt broke or fell out of the head. A quick way to check is open the hood on a cold engine with someone outside looking under the hood, attempt to start without letting the glow plugs heat up when the truck starts you will see a cloud of smoke from under the hood if theres a leak. This will tell you where the problem is.

Thanks... I will try.

Since an Excursion has insulation around the flex pipe, how do I see what is leaking or not? What is the secret here... or will I still see smoke?

If I want the "Y-Pipe" replaced, what is the "preferred" cost to have it done (labor and parts) that I should be looking to have my local Ford dealer hopefully charge me?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Thanks... I will try.

Since an Excursion has insulation around the flex pipe, how do I see what is leaking or not? What is the secret here... or will I still see smoke?

If I want the "Y-Pipe" replaced, what is the "preferred" cost to have it done (labor and parts) that I should be looking to have my local Ford dealer hopefully charge me?

You'd see a puff of smoke come out from behind the turbo. To change the Ypipe the turbo will need to come out. If I were doing the job i'd be charging you around 5 hours for labor. Unsure how much the pipe is and there are also some bolts, nuts and gaskets that go along with it. I will try to get a price on the pipe today at work.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
You'd see a puff of smoke come out from behind the turbo. To change the Ypipe the turbo will need to come out. If I were doing the job i'd be charging you around 5 hours for labor. Unsure how much the pipe is and there are also some bolts, nuts and gaskets that go along with it. I will try to get a price on the pipe today at work.

Thanks.... as always.

On a seperate note... Has anyone heard from Vince or "Black-SnapOn" in a while? I tried calling him last Friday and his phone was disconnected (I only call every 6 months when I have a truck question) and I sent him a PM and he has yet to reply)???

I am also surprised he has not jumped into this thread with an opinion yet with my issue?

Just concerned???

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Interesting you post this. Around the start of Sept. I had my transmission fluid changed by the local dealer here..2005 F350 6.0. I took a 6 hour trip a week later and kept getting whiffs of what I thought was gear oil. I looked under the hood and under the chassis and couldn't see anything.
Just before getting home from said trip, I noticed the smell real bad and was expecting to see fluid all over the place coming from somewhere.
Well...I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything at all.
Did determine that smell was tranny fluid and not gear oil.
Took it back to the dealer, they couldn't find anything...even after driving it for an hour.
Still kept getting the same smells, but only when coming to a stop or moving away from a stop...so, back to the dealer...they still couldn't find anything and nor could I.
The only thing that we (the dealer and myself) could think was some spillage of fluid somewhere that was burning off..although damned if it was visible.
In any case, the aroma has almost faded completely now.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Interesting you post this. Around the start of Sept. I had my transmission fluid changed by the local dealer here..2005 F350 6.0. I took a 6 hour trip a week later and kept getting whiffs of what I thought was gear oil. I looked under the hood and under the chassis and couldn't see anything.
Just before getting home from said trip, I noticed the smell real bad and was expecting to see fluid all over the place coming from somewhere.
Well...I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything at all.
Did determine that smell was tranny fluid and not gear oil.
Took it back to the dealer, they couldn't find anything...even after driving it for an hour.
Still kept getting the same smells, but only when coming to a stop or moving away from a stop...so, back to the dealer...they still couldn't find anything and nor could I.
The only thing that we (the dealer and myself) could think was some spillage of fluid somewhere that was burning off..although damned if it was visible.
In any case, the aroma has almost faded completely now.

Yep... that's what I am having to the tee.

1) Tranny fluid drained and refilled.
2) Internal and external filters replaced.
3) Transfer case drained and refilled.
4) All was cleaned up with Brake-Kleen (no no oily residue anywhere).
5) Fluids topped off after motor was warmed up and run through gears.

I have since driven a few hundred miles and mostly at highway speeds over 1-1/2 weeks and it smells bad when I stop at lights or start my truck in the garage (never did before this service).

No leaks can be seen and only a minor black spot can be seen on the exhaust manifold on one side... and according to the Ford mechanic, it is small and probably not the issue... but who knows? Maybe the "y-pipe", but on an Excursion it is covered (unlike a pick-up) so no way to see the flex joints to puffs of smoke.

Dam... I do not want to spend money to repair something if I am not 100% certain it is the problem.... unless one of you Ford Techs will repair it for a case of beer plus parts and a Cuban cigar!!!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Also..I should add that I did a 2000 mile trip after this with zero issues.
I really do think there was a puddle hidden somewhere that kept burning off.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Beach, if its the Y pipe, its more likely to show with the panel vents without recirc on.

Vince,

I sent you a PM.

Please reply to the PM with your new phone #... I called but it did not go through?

Thanks,

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Beach, if its the Y pipe, its more likely to show with the panel vents without recirc on.

Today it warmed up here in KC and was sunny... so I was able to turn off my heat.

With my enviromental control unit in the "off" position, I had no fumes or smells in my truck upon start-up or at stop lights!!!

So with that said... I guess that the "recirculation" of fresh outside air and having the vents heat/AC all in the off position must be preventing the induction of outside air and fumes from entering my truck? Is that what you were saying above Vince (I was not sure what you were trying to say above)?

So... now with this piece of the puzzle... where do I look or what else do I test for??? Is there some leak in my enviromental "fresh-air" system?

Thanks,

blacksnapon

Staff member
With the recirc on (outside air coming in), any exhaust leaks are picked up and vented into the cabin. My bet, Y pipe and/or corresponding exhaust joint leak.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
With 204,000 miles on my truck, I am now suffering from exessive exhaust smell in the cab of my Excursion.

I think it is coming from my "Y-Pipe"... as it is most notable upon start up and when at stop lights. As well, if my enviromental control unit is on it is bad... turn it off (so no fresh air enters the cab)... then all is fine. However, in the winter, I need the "heat" on when driving.

I was quoted 6 hours of labor by my local Ford ealer and $600 for the Motorcraft OEM "Y-Pipe".

My questions are:

1) Since I have a stock motor with the stock EGR, are there any aftermarket Y-Pipes available that fit/work with the stock system set-up?

2) Is there a solid metal tubular pipe without the "flex" areas that are part of the OEM system - which is the known "leakage area"?

3) What is the Ford part number for the complete "Y-Pipe" and what is a good price and what is a great price?

Thanks,

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Is the "Y-Pipe" a one or two piece part?

On another site, someone posted that the part was around $200... which is a whole lot less than the $600 than my local Ford dealer quoted me!!!

So either my dealer is really proud of their part or the other part & price is too good to be true... but the other poster on the other forum claimed it was from a another Ford dealer that sells on the internet??

Please provide Ford part # and price for my truck.

2003 6.0L Excursion LTD 4X4

Thanks,

Jeff

blacksnapon

Staff member
3c3z-6k854-da (y pipe)-----368.87............3c3z-6k854-aa (egr cooler pipe)-------194.63.................3c3z-6n640-aa (gasket)------4.23 Y pipe is 2parts.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
3c3z-6k854-da (y pipe)-----368.87............3c3z-6k854-aa (egr cooler pipe)-------194.63.................3c3z-6n640-aa (gasket)------4.23 Y pipe is 2parts.

When fixing the "y-pipe" would you replace both peices or just the one that is leaking... and how do you determine?

Or would you replace both parts since the turbo and parts will already be out and now is just the time to replace both... since the other may go at some time as well?

Ford Truck Articles