Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transmission upgrade

I have an 1987 F-150 that I am planning to put a remanufactured 300 motor in. I have owned this truck for many years and the transmission ( a C6 I believe) was giving me some trouble before the engine finally wore out. I am considering replacing the transmission at the same time I put the new engine in and was wondering first, if it is possible, and how hard it would be to put in an E4OD transmission instead because it has the overdrive gear and could save me some gas money.

Fellro

Staff member
It is possible, it is all about getting the electronic control. Aftermarket controllers may be out there, but I can't say who would have such. Otherwise itis a matter of getting the factory controls to all play together. Is it something simple and plug and play? not so much. A donor vehicle makes it easier.

When you say donor vehicle are you talking about another similar truck that ran the newer transmission to take components off of?

Fellro

Staff member
Yes, a wreck or rusted junk vehicle.

Fellro is right. It is a puzzle to get all the components you need to do a swap. Considering the amount of work and cost to do a conversion I would look at the overall savings that you would gain in fuel cost to determine if the swap is really worth it. The C6 transmission is better at pulling a load and pretty bulletproof compared to the E40D and less prone to repair issues overall. But as with all things, just my opinion.

Thanks for the info. I do pull a 12' box trailer pretty often for my work so my other thought was to use this truck for when I pull the trailer and my 94 for when I am driving around without it.

I definitely know where you are trying to get to with this and that is to save the cost on fuel. And am I with you on that? You bet. But I have found from past experience that sometimes the cost savings comes from keeping it simple. And by driving the 1994 when you don't need the trailer you keep it moving and not just sitting so that's a plus.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts