Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Transmission Question/Problem - What is it???

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
My transmission has been serviced on time or ahead of schedule since day one. I only use Mercon SP and the dealer flushes and/or drains the pan each 25,000 - 30,000 interval. The last flush was done 10,000 miles or so.

All is running well, but after stopping to buy a Coke, my "tow-haul" light started flashing a few miles later and my tranny temp guage on the dash board was in the red and the "Check Gauge" light was on.

My truck is shifting properly and I was not towing. It is 55 degrees tonight and a light rain... so basically, my tranny was not being worked hard.

I stopped, turned the motor off and re-started, and the tow-haul light still flashed and the temp gauge went right to the "red" as well as the "Check Gauge" light.

What has happened?????

1) Do I just have a bad sensor?

2) Have not checked my fluid, but I had no choice but to drive home 40+ miles at highway speeds... and all was well and no "hick-ups".

3) I did not drive over anything or hit anything... so I do not believe it is a fluid issue?

FTF techs... what has happened... what should my dealer do to check and/or fix it?

Thanks,

Jeff

blacksnapon

Staff member
Goose had the same thing going on. It sounds like the TFT sensor. Easy fix, they'll drop the pan, and it unscrews.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Goose had the same thing going on. It sounds like the TFT sensor. Easy fix, they'll drop the pan, and it unscrews.

Thanks... will call the dealer later today.

Will it hurt my transmission to drive it... or just becuase it is a sensor, no big deal?

Thanks,

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Very short trips shouldnt be a problem, but it needs to be repaired as soon as possible.

Thanks... off the the dealer I go... good thing my service advisor is an attractive women... makes going there less painful.

Hopefully, they can get me in this afternoon???

Stay tuned......

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Went to dealer this afternoon to have them look at my truck.

Codes that showed up were for the transmission and they ended up replacing the TFT senser.

I spent $249.00 out the door and received the following:

1) New TFT senser

2) New Mercon SP fluid (8 or 9 qts)

3) New internal tranny filter

My service advisor advised me that it was cheaper to sell me a transmission service and then just charge for the new TFT senser and some mechanic's time.

The transmission service (drain, new filter & refill) cost $99.00... so this was the best way to write up the ticket... with some labor and the new TFT senser.

My baby is as good as new.

On the bad side... their laptop when hooked up to my OBII connector showed an EGR code!!!! No issues I can feel or see... but maybe I am due for a new or cleaned EGR valve... must be sticking sometimes?????

Thanks guys.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
03s are bad about throwing egr codes. too many things on a 03 strategy will cause the egr codes p0404 and 405 without any driveability issues. just disregard and keep on trucking. i believe there is a later reflash out that tweaks this code away, let me do some checking.

well the codes are 401 and 402 and it relates to the inferred calibration being all screwed up. see if you can find out your code and we can go from there.

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
03s are bad about throwing egr codes. too many things on a 03 strategy will cause the egr codes p0404 and 405 without any driveability issues. just disregard and keep on trucking. i believe there is a later reflash out that tweaks this code away, let me do some checking.

well the codes are 401 and 402 and it relates to the inferred calibration being all screwed up. see if you can find out your code and we can go from there.

I believe that I have the most recent flash updates.

The dealer flashed when checking a few months back when my rear back-up sensor went out. They checked here again and just saw the codes... no updates available. I think I had 401, 402, 404 (I think that is right)???

I have noticed no drivability issues... but maybe the EGR is starting to stick slightly after 158,000 miles???

Thanks,

Ford Truck Articles