Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trans. Options on 6.4

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Ok other than the pita of driving the handshaker models in town, (bear in mind, I know there are alot more torqshifts on the road) any issues with the manuals on the 6.0 and 6.4 trucks? Starting to look like a much more viable option for towing plus the use of a gearvendor, rather than swapping ring and pinions front and rear and being stuck with that choice when not towing. I noticed a while back you could not build a F450 with 33k towing package with the handshaker, and now you can. Main reason I ask, is I am going to build the next truck I buy. Any more issues with the death wobble on the 450's as well? I know the tires suck to replace, but the mileage you get out of them must be worth the trade off. Probably looking at a year before I get ready to buy one. I know I could get by with a F350, but the shear cool factor and the resale is worth it to me.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Ok other than the pita of driving the handshaker models in town, (bear in mind, I know there are alot more torqshifts on the road) any issues with the manuals on the 6.0 and 6.4 trucks? Starting to look like a much more viable option for towing plus the use of a gearvendor, rather than swapping ring and pinions front and rear and being stuck with that choice when not towing. I noticed a while back you could not build a F450 with 33k towing package with the handshaker, and now you can. Main reason I ask, is I am going to build the next truck I buy. Any more issues with the death wobble on the 450's as well? I know the tires suck to replace, but the mileage you get out of them must be worth the trade off. Probably looking at a year before I get ready to buy one. I know I could get by with a F350, but the shear cool factor and the resale is worth it to me.
So far, the ZF 6 speeds have been pretty reliable. The only repeat gripe I've heard has been over the turbo spool up speed. The turbo relies on engine speed to operate. The manual trans "holds down" the engine speed in relation to ground speed. Thus, it seems the turbo doesnt spool up as fast.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've seen that complaint before, too, Vince.

Is that something where once you got to know the truck, you could run it in such a way it isn't an issue? Or something that will always be a problem?

The only turbo anything I've ever driven was a '95 PSD 5-speed, but I've always driven it very gently, since it belongs to a friend, so I'm not real familiar with the practical side of how turbos feel.

blacksnapon

Staff member
You just have to understand what is the cause of it, and be prepared to accept it. Try explaining that to a disgruntled customer complaining about the excessive turbo lag. "My brother in law has one with an automatic, and it doesnt do that! There has to be something wrong with the turbo." You could adjust your driving style to have more engine speed at take off, but at what expense? Slipping the clutch would be the only way. The dual turbo of the 6.4 is supposed to limit this somewhat. The vgt (or high pressure) turbo handling the higher speeds, the low pressure turbo taking care of the low speed portion.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So it's only an issue starting from a stop? Seems that would be about the only time you couldn't drop a gear and spool up the turbos...

*Reason I'm interested, is I'm a manual trans guy even before a Ford guy...I'd go Dodge or Chevy (well, not Chevy anymore) before I bought a Ford with an auto.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I'd go Dodge or Chevy (well, not Chevy anymore) before I bought a Ford with an auto.
What's wrong with the 5R110W? Mine has handled ALOT of abuse. Seriously, ALOT and it's doing perfect.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I don't like driving automatics.

It's not based on outdated biases of weakness or fuel inefficiency, it's just what I like. Kind of like I don't like to wear bright red shirts- nothing you can tell me will make me think they look good, and nothing you can tell me about how good an automatic is will make me prefer one over a manual. I just like to row my own gears.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Well barring the snap ring fiasco, the torqshift has been pretty bullet proof, however the handshaker needs much less frequent fluid changes along with much cheaper fluid. How many clutches have you guys changed behind the 6.0's? (probably not enough 6.4's with any mileage to warrant cahnging a clutch yet) Are the stock clutches better than what was in the 7.3 ?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Well barring the snap ring fiasco, the torqshift has been pretty bullet proof, however the handshaker needs much less frequent fluid changes along with much cheaper fluid. How many clutches have you guys changed behind the 6.0's? (probably not enough 6.4's with any mileage to warrant cahnging a clutch yet) Are the stock clutches better than what was in the 7.3 ?
No clutches yet. Most everyone out here has a torqueshift. Agreed, after the poor shift solenoids, and snap rings, not much hassle.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
The automatic is the way to go with the 6.0, unless you don't mind the lag, 6 spds just don't spool up like the auto, we had the same truck side by side down the highway one auto one stick and the auto blew the doors off the stick, would only do 80-85mph max. The torqushift as we know it now will be leaving and there gonna replace it with a 6spd auto behind the 6.4's, this is due to the torqushift can't take the "full" power of the 6.4 and im told the 6.4's are detuned for this reason. When the new 6spd comes out the 6.4's will be brought up to full power. Haven't changed many 6.0 clutches no one drives stick really around here.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts