Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Towing capacity

What is the towing Capacity of my 92 F 250 s/c 2wd 5.8 motor with 3.55 posi rear end

would going to 410 gears crush my mpg

don

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Officially, probably around 6800. Can it do more, sure. You didn't say auto or manual, although my opinion is manuals are more durable for heavy towing. My 88 250 5.8 3.55 will haul heavy, just not in a hurry. Going to 4.10 will help hauling ability, empty is where you may notice a bit of mileage loss. Driving style and speed are also factors. Will it make a massive drop? I doubt it. Will it tow better? Absolutely.

Officially, probably around 6800. Can it do more, sure. You didn't say auto or manual, although my opinion is manuals are more durable for heavy towing. My 88 250 5.8 3.55 will haul heavy, just not in a hurry. Going to 4.10 will help hauling ability, empty is where you may notice a bit of mileage loss. Driving style and speed are also factors. Will it make a massive drop? I doubt it. Will it tow better? Absolutely.

the truck isn’t a daily driver so the loss of fuel around town isn’t a comcern.

thank you

don

You would expect him to say this but it would make my second trailer I purchased from him.
so I went to the trailer place and a new 20x7 new steel trailer would be $3800

the trailer itself weighs about 1900 pads. But with trailer brakes he didn’t think my 92 F250 S/C 5.8 355 posi rear end would have any issues towing my 3800 pd 07 GT500

if I pursue this time will tell

Fellro

Staff member
With my personal experience I would agree.

With my personal experience I would agree.

the real question is going through the mountains on I 75

have another question about perf and fuel economy. I’m definitely upgrading the injectors to a 96 explorer/bronco injector. The OEM injector in my truck is a single spray. The newer ones are a 4 spray which delivers more overall power and fuel economy,

I had planned to put a more free flowing , larger dual exhaust and CAI but in asking about how to improve fuel economy, on a different thread those who responded stated it wouldn’t be worth the money

Ford Truck Articles