Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tonneau cover

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Looking at options for a tonneau cover.

I am looking for retractable or roll up. Not hard cover (tilt up)

2013 Ford F150.

Options, recommendations

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I've had an Access Tonneau cover(roll up)on my '78 for at least 18 years. I say "at least" because the truck had a restoration done in 1996, and the truck was purchased in 2003.

It has only been the last 2 years, that I've started to have problems with the cover. The edges next to the rail of the truck are starting to develop small tears, and the stitching that holds the Velcro in place has unraveled.

The only disadvantage to a rollup cover is if you leave the cover in the rolled up position next to the cab, it will chafe the paint on the cab.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I have a Lund Genesis roll-up. Pics here.

I almost think I bought it on your recommendation?

Anyway- still happy. It's not perfect, but more than adequate. The straight bows seem to allow it to "flutter" more at highway speeds than others I've seen, but I really only hear it when the rear window is open and the side windows are shut.

Holding up reasonably well- I broke my tailgate handle last summer, and so I drove around for a while (months) with the back bar of the cover unlatched. The latches seem a little stiffer and the velcro is pulling up a bit as a result, but not bad.

I'd buy another one.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Yep Ian. That is the one I had on my last truck...liked it and would consider it again but i'd like one a little more profile if possible.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I know you said no hard tops....but have you looked at the Diamondback covers?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
if you get a roll up get the Extang's.. They have support braces for the cover to keep the rain from pooling on it and sinking to the bed floor. downside is it doesnt stop the snow from trying to do it lol.. its been on my truck since i bought it.. I had to replace the cross braces due to 2 were missing and the 3rd was bent the wrong direction.

The only issues ive had with mine is that in the winter the cold makes it really stiff so if i ever take it off its hard to put back on. and ive had a few of the snaps pull from the cover which you can get those at any fabric store.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
The one on my King Ranch came from the factory and I love it....I'll try to get pics and won't know brand names unless someone can get a factor part #.

It rolls up and has the metal braces to keep puddles from pooling like mentioned already. AND that's with me being a fan of the hard top/flip ups.

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
The one on my King Ranch came from the factory and I love it....I'll try to get pics and won't know brand names unless someone can get a factor part #.

It rolls up and has the metal braces to keep puddles from pooling like mentioned already. AND that's with me being a fan of the hard top/flip ups.

ive been a fan of the camper shells for secured storage that or the hard top fold up ones like on dads truck.. but truck came with soft and like that i can see around it.. but i know the cover on mines been replaced.. cuz it doesnt match the names on the rails. the only thing i hate about it is when they sewn in the velcro straps they did them in backwards...

F150

easy
Had an Xtang on the 07, and have an Access on the 13. Both roll ups with velcro,and built in support bows. Both functioned flawlessly. Roll ups are the way to go if you use your bed.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
mines annoying to roll up.. lol maybe one day ill learn how to roll it up right lol. still would have been nice had they not done the velcro backwards.. someone in QA was really off their game that day...

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I didn't think I'd like this set up but I do more and more each day! It looks sharp and is incredibly functional.

Had to take spare tire out of it this morning.

ForumRunner_20140523_100700.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^pictures come out small on the phone.....but it's more convenient because it's one or two less steps for me to post....but you can't see the detail.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
2014-05-23_09_09_13.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts