Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tension Pulley Collapse & Shattered

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Went to start the truck today.

*turns key, engine cranks*
*engine starts*
"POP!"
"Aww ****"
*SQEEEEAAAAAKKKKK*

So I look under the hood and the plastic tension pulley completely collapsed and splintered. I'm lucky it didn't blow the belt out. I bought a new belt anyway, but will install it tonight. Made it to work only 45 minutes late, so it was an easy fix. The bolt is also reverse threaded.

pulley.jpg

Chris, go buy a metal one. You have T minus two years till yours collapses. :D

Ryan

You got it off... that's good. most of the time you have to replace the whole tensioner, for about 45 bucks.

Hate to see you lose that much bark.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Holy crap! That's pretty hardcore.

I replaced my whole tensioner assembly due to a loose spring about a year ago... Lemme go out and see if my pulley is plastic or metal.

Actually, they're carbon fiber.... but nasty nonetheless.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
good deal. I never really noticed or thought anything of it, but then I ask myself... Why DID they make it plastic? What is the actual benefit?

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
But if their going to add $.50 here, why not add it there? And here, and there, and here, and here, and there, and there, and here and there and oh yea, here.... Pretty soon, the cost of that truck has gone up by $1000... $2000... $3000.

It all adds up ;)

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
well, dur... of course it'll mean costs are a little higher. If customers know you're making the best product, though, they'll pay a little extra for it.

Ryan

Must just be the lighting or angle... something didn't look right. Either way, if you're happy, it don't matter :)

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
good deal. I never really noticed or thought anything of it, but then I ask myself... Why DID they make it plastic? What is the actual benefit?

Ryan
Needs to be in for replacement sooner. When my dad owned a dealership he always said it was the service dept that made them money.

Yep... Dave Ramsey said that the car dealerships make MAYBE 1250 selling a brand-new car out the door, outsourcing the financing.The SHOP ranks second money-producer to loans they keep "in house".... ouch!
Heck... Standard shop rate for the Peterbilt shop is up to 125/hour.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Mine is metal, had the bearing seize up a couple years ago, had to drive it another six miles to get it fixed.

Glad you didn't have to spend more for parts...

Ford Truck Articles