Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
Got the F-350 Trusty Rusty in my possession, running better. Cannot keep running the F-150. I'm getting 1.5 miles for every $1 of gas in it. The F-350 gets 3x better mileage.

So, I'm looking for a tailgate. The F-350 doesn't have one. It does have strong-enough mounting points! I need to be able to secure loads while I put the F-150 down to finally get the J&S Engine out of her. The F-150 Tailgate is also kinda shot, or getting there.

Question is, what's the best source for a gen 8-9 tailgate with all the trimmings?

I found a primed, no-mechanical, no cover to the mechanical F-Series tailgate for gen 8/9 on Amazon for about $180. I ordered it, free shipping, but then found Carparts.com has some all-mechanically-ready tailgates. They also differentiate between the F-150 and F-350 for some reason, but the tailgates look the same to me.

Now it's about $280 after shipping and tax, but it has everything except maybe the mechanical cover (can go junkyard diving I suppose for one of those).

Here's the link to the F-350 Tailgate available there. https://www.carparts.com/tailgate/r...]=XLT&vehicle[cylinders]=8&vehicle[liter]=7.5

Should I be looking anywhere else?

Fellro

Staff member
If it has a regular box on it I know of no difference to the fit. They all were pretty much weak and you have to stay on top of keeping the latches lubed and free or they won't completely unlatch and next time you close it they close before going around the pin, or worse, stick on the pin. They are similar in nature to the latch in your doors. Switching the internals isn't that hard really. These gates are easier to work on for the most part than the previous gates were.

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
If it has a regular box on it I know of no difference to the fit....

They are similar in nature to the latch in your doors. Switching the internals isn't that hard really. These gates are easier to work on for the most part than the previous gates were.

I've repaired and modified and rebuilt my F-150's a few times, pretty familiar on that. That's good to know that they should fit, yeah regular box. And it's getting stuck on the F-150 too so it's about time to lube up all those latches you mentioned. Same with the doors latch and pins. Guess it's just that time of the decade.

As long as the Amazon one is pure Steel (will find out any day), guess I'll keep it. I'm swinging over to Michigan in February and will hit Bronco Graveyard in person and grab an order of all the mechanical fixings to rig the internals and get the color handles I want, etc (will donate the silver one to the F-350 and put a black one on the F-150, etc). Probably gonna pick up some body parts there too to redo F-350's rotting wheel wells and F-150's rocker n outer floor panels.

If Amazon one looks weak sauce I'll order the one I linked to above and report back on it. It would be nice to have the mechanical stuff sooner and can just swap out the handles with a black one from Jeff's BGY later.

Ford Truck Articles