Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Steering gearbox replacement DONE! Photos

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Well, I must say that other than the physical strength required to do this and the absolute MESS!!!! this was MUCH easier than the heater core replacement from the other thread. The tow most difficult challenges were 1. Pulling the pitman arm off. Advice: DON'T buy a cheap puller. I broke 2 of them!!! and 2. Just pulling it out! It weighs 42 pounds. Lastly; a question. When I finished I found the sometime during the installation I turned the steering wheel so that now the horn bar is not horizontal. Is there a way, without pulling the steering wheel, to adjust this?

Thanks to all of you again for your encouragement during this project. Next is detailing Burt's engine and undercarriage/frame again with Simple Green to ENSURE there are no more leaks, like from the pump for instance! Next project is the rear main seal, but it is such a small leak I'm not going to rush it!

Cheers! smilieFordlogo

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23861302

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Dang.....lots of work.....checked out both the steering box and ac pics....pretty wild....it will all be worth the wait and work IMO! Is Burt on the road now?

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Burt will be on the road after I detail the engine, etc. I spilled quite a bit of fluids all over him during these projects and I don't want any more blowing all over him while driving. But he IS ready to be back on the road and go back in the garage in the city house once I finish the detail next weekend..
Dak

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts