Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

so the ext cab has failed me...once again....

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
okay so today as i was leaving from meeting a guy about buying his truck, i went to start my truck like anyother time , and it would crank and crank and crank bt it wouldnt fire and go so i got out and started checking everything and come to find out i had like only a drop of il on my dipstick (wich is VERY strange considering i check its oil weekly and change it regularly and it has never had a history of leaking or burning it off. wich makes me ink some jack**s drained it to be a d**k. so i called a friend and he took me to autozone n i picked up some oil, topped her off and waited a minute, then she started as usual, wich brings me to my first question.

Does this bodystyle have some sort of safety switch that prevents the engine from running without oil?

and on the way home it was a MAJOR chore to get her above 65mph , like id had to hold it on the floor to do 70 on level ground. leading me to belive it jumped timing a little bit, it just doesnt sound as smooth as it did before.(well as smooth as it can sound considering its always idled kinda high and i havent had a chance to adjust the idle).

on the way home i stopped to get gas because i was usin it faster than normal(probably cuz i had it almost wide open to stay at 65) and after i got gas it wasnt wanting to start, so i gave it a minut, started it, and continued home like before. it seems like iv jumped timing like i said, could it be anything else? a fouled sparkplug or two maybe?..if it makes any difference truck has been running pretty hot since iv had it, iv made sure it had the right amount of coolant in it, im not sure how hot it gets because the temp guage dont work, but it gets hot enough to boil the coolant out of the reserve tank if i set in the parkinglot with my truck running and the a/c on. as far as that goes i think it might be thermostat or waterpump?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
If the coolant is boiling then it is definitely overheating. I would check your timing and see if it is out. That can cause the engine to run hot. If someone actually drained your oil that is terrible. I don't think there is a low oil shut off, but I'm not 100% sure. But highly doubt it.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
well there aint any sign of leaks any where on the engine so idk if its gettn sucked out n e where and im gonna check e timing tomorro and see what happens from there

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Yea i agree with smokey, boiling out of the resevoir is bad mmmkay, thats almost red line area on the temp guage on my pickup.

I bet your losing coolant to, or better your coolant is very much like choclate milk or has white **** in the neck

check your coolant level definately, it may not have the coolant looking funny, but look in the neck if theres any cottage cheeze looking stuff there oil in it somehow

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
there aint nuthin in the radiator, and the oil aint milky so that rules out the mixin of coolant n oil, so we r good there

Ford Truck Articles