Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Should I rebuild my 4.6 myself???

This is my first post so here goes!! Bought a 98 f150 4x4 with the w vin Romeo 4.6 for $850. Engine was out owner bought it with a blown engine thinking he would fix it one day and then I buy it. Sold it to me with an engine to go in it so I got it running and drive it about a month before the oil pressure dropped. Went to pull a part and got another 4.6 out of 94 town car put it in and it sounded great but smoked like crazy because the valve guide seals were shot. Read online about power improvement head swaps and ended up doing the swap. Drove truck to TN and burnt #8 intake valve because I didnt have time for a tune yet. Got head warrantied out but now I have a horrible tapping noise when warm on the right bank so I checked oil pressure and it's no good 12 to 10 psi hot in gear at idle at the sending unit tap, 0 psi on the tap at head on right bank. So my question is has anyone had success rebuilding a 4.6 or had any success having one rebuilt by a machine shop? I'm on a tight budget now because of what else I have done to the truck.

Well i purchased a book on rebuilding 4.6 and 5.4 engines and i am deffently letting someone else who has rebuilt one before do it. I have a machine shop working on a quote for rebuiling the bottom end of the engine and checking the heads over to see if there was any damage done to them in the short time i had them on the engine when it was running. I have built a 2.9 in 90 ranger and a 302 ford before so I know how to rebuild engines and i work at a shop as a tech but seeing all the steps to assembling the main caps with the jack screws i think money and time wise it will be better to have it rebuilt by the machine shop. I see know why we always put remaned engines in ford cars in trucks with 4.6 and 5.4s.So hopefully in the next two weeks i will have the engine back in and being broke in:) lesson learned is dont go cheap it ends up costing more in the end.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Building a 5.4/4.6 is fairly easy, but the tolerances are VERY tight and VERY low. You are better off having the lower end built by a shop, but make sure they have worked on these mod motors before as they take a different honing machine, decking procedure, and balancing technique! These are not like any other old *** chevy or ford motor you can just slap together and run the piss outta them. I have built a few of these and if you have any questions feel free to hit me up.

Thanks for the info. apperently the guy who does the machine work knows a lot about 4.6 and 5.4. from what i hear he knows his stuff. If i have any questions i will be sure to ask:)

I just got the quote today on the short block the guy said it will be around 1600 but I'm willing to pay it just so it's done right. I will ship if off tomorrow and hopefully get it back next week.

Well I can't put 1600 into the engine right now I have some wedding expenses that I have to take care of first. Pretty crappy timing for the engine to drop. so it's going to be later in the summer before I can save up for. Thats a bummer.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
It makes it that much more enjoyable when you get to drive it. Trust me, I had mine down for almost 2 years. Makes it feel like a new truck! LOL

It will be practically a new truck once the engine is done I had the trans rebuilt back in January. I also have all new ball joints in, new brakes on the front .For last Christmas I got the wrangler authority tires as a gift and I also did door locks and ignition lock cylinder, heater core and evaporator core. So it's been on the road maybe 5 months out of 13 months I have owned it. But i really like the truck and I don't want to sell it even though it goes through gas like none other. Im going to get my trust old 83 crown Vic out for the time being!!! Trusty car has always been there when I need it.

Got some good news I got the funds to get the engine rebuilt!!! So I should ship it out this week and hopefully have it back by the latest next Friday. It will be so good to hear that thing run once again!! I have missed that truck a lot

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Glad to hear!

Dropped of the engine around noon today it will by sent out I will have a return date soon. I went ahead and asked for dished pistons for a stock low pi compression ratio that way I can get an edge cs or cts evolution box. I would even settle for a old evolution box that fit my truck if the price is right.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Get in touch with Rick at Amazon Tuning. That guy is AMAZING on custom tunes for our rides. I ordered 2 from him (one for a blown 5.4 and one for my stock N/A on 93 octane) Both were FLAWLESS and I love my 93 tune on the truck even with 35's and 3.55's it will turn them over no issue, and the trans shifts are nice as well.

How much did the 93 tune cost? I have looked into edge products and most are around $400. I was looking at edge because of all the setting you can adjust your self and mainly for the feature of correcting the speedo for my tire size. Right now it's off about 8 mph and not in a good way. I am looking forward to adjusting the trans settings. Plus 20 hp sound good too!!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I had the tuner already, but my tune cost me $100.

That's not bad but I don't have a tuner. I have been watching eBay and Craigslist for tuners my friend had an edge ct tuner on his 99 silverado and he said he will let me play with it once I get my truck back together. As far as tuners go I have never bought one before so im not sure of what tuners work and don't work. I'm looking to keep it under the $400 mark for a tuner. But for now i am just focusing on putting the engine back in which looks like possible Tuesday of next week. I will have the engine back then and I can start on it after work.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I have an SCT Xcal3 and love it. Checks engine codes on ALL fords (ODB-II) can adjust for tires gears, trans shift, RPM and MPH limiters, has a datalogging program with it you can hook up to a laptop, and I also had my PATS system disabled so my pushbutton start would work without the key. I would just call and talk to Lynn or Rick and see what kind of price they can get ya.

My engine will be delivered Monday afternoon and I'm. Going to spend the first couple of week nights after work putting it back in and getting it running. I can't wait to fire it for first time!!! And a side note I found a really cool sct tuner that is wireless and is compatible with iPhone and iPad pretty slick setup but it's around 500 bucks:(

Well I am going to get my engine back till Thursday they discovered yesterday that the right head is trash. So they will have it together today but the truck doesn't run till after hours to car quest. I will pick it up Thursday after work it will work it better because I will have the weekend to break it in.

It came a day later than I hoped but I'm picking it up in a few min and then I will start putting back in tonight. If things go as planned I will be driving it tomorrow afternoon.

Ford Truck Articles