Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Scamsoil CJ-4

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
If I'm not mistaken, Scamsoil had an oil product that was labeled CJ4, to lead you to believe that it was certified to the new CJ4 API standard, which it wasn't!!. Jeff, or Ryan, do you remember this? I just checked, and they no longer offer an oil product called "CJ4".

I also noticed that Scamsoil doesn't have a recommended oil for the 6.4L diesel:

194802638-L.jpg

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
If I'm not mistaken, Scamsoil had an oil product that was labeled CJ4, to lead you to believe that it was certified to the new CJ4 API standard, which it wasn't!!. Jeff, or Ryan, do you remember this? I just checked, and they no longer offer an oil product called "CJ4".
I used it, for about 200 miles. My 6.0L didn't like it at all!

I honestly know nothing about Amsoil... heard of it for years but never so much as read any literature on it... can someone fill me in on the blanks as to what went so wrong with it?

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Amsoil has a CJ4 synthetic oil and have claimed to for some time.

Just do a "yahoo" or "Google" search for Amsoil CJ4 and there is a lot of stuff... here is one link... to their "mis-marketing"....

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/amsoil_diesel_5W40.htm

They can claim that it is all they want... but for some reason, the major oil companies have not yet released their own versions yet... which makes me wonder why?????

Attachments

• Amsoil 5W-40 (CJ4 Oil).jpg
Last edited:

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
I honestly know nothing about Amsoil... heard of it for years but never so much as read any literature on it... can someone fill me in on the blanks as to what went so wrong with it?

Scamsoil, as I call them are nothing more than a sleezebag MLM company that brainwash people into becoming members in their pyramid marketing structure! Just check out their website, they lead you to believe that all
their oil products are API certified, and in reality only 2 products are, PCO, and XL. They also claim to have an ATF that meets the requirements for
Mercon, Mercon V, Mercon SP, and Dexron VI. These ATFs have different
viscosities that DO NOT overlap, so explain to me how 1 AFT can meet
the requirements for all of these ATFs?.....

And the labeling API CJ4 on their bottles, so people think that is it API CJ4
certified, when in reality, it isn't!!!

Sorry for the rant!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Scamsoil, as I call them are nothing more than a sleezebag MLM company that brainwash people into becoming members in their pyramid marketing structure! Just check out their website, they lead you to believe that all
their oil products are API certified, and in reality only 2 products are, PCO, and XL. They also claim to have an ATF that meets the requirements for
Mercon, Mercon V, Mercon SP, and Dexron VI. These ATFs have different
viscosities that DO NOT overlap, so explain to me how 1 AFT can meet
the requirements for all of these ATFs?.....

And the labeling API CJ4 on their bottles, so people think that is it API CJ4
certified, when in reality, it isn't!!!

Sorry for the rant!!!

Hey... this thread is like "daj sha vou" (not sure how to spell it).

One tranny fluid can NOT meet three different specs (Mercon, Mercon V and Mercon SP) at the same time... pure and simple!!!!

I have yet to hear of a Ford 6.0L/Tourqueshift tranny failure on any board with a person using Motorcraft Mercon SP and changing it every 30,000 miles like they recommend!!!!

Well that answers alot. Thanks.

Let me ask you THIS, tho... doesn't LucasOil do alot of the same tactics, but without the MLM? Their tranny product scares me to death, to be quite honest!

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC

One tranny fluid can NOT meet three different specs (Mercon, Mercon V and Mercon SP) at the same time... pure and simple!!!!

I have yet to hear of a Ford 6.0L/Tourqueshift tranny failure on any board with a person using Motorcraft Mercon SP and changing it every 30,000 miles like they recommend!!!!

Yes Jeff, does this bring back memories, or what?????? deja vu

You have to check this out on ATFs:

http://www.amsoil.com/news/2007_sept_ATF_merconv.pdf

What a beauty!!! Very typical of Scamsoil's lies and deceit!!! Notice how the hole in the allen bolt (using Scamsoil ATF) has had just about all the ATF cleaned out of it, while the hole in the allen bolt (Using Havoline ATF) is still full of ATF:

194811068-L.jpg

:bs: :bs: :bs:

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC
I used it, for about 200 miles. My 6.0L didn't like it at all!

OH NO!!!!

Now we have route cause on the LPOP gear failure!!! Using Scamsoil non-API certified oil early in the life of this engine damaged these gears!!:guns:

Was it the FIRST 6.0, the Second, or the long-awaited THIRD. By the way... I thought you had that spare engine laying around~ Why not hae your Buddy put THAT back in?

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC

I wonder if our Ford techs can find out if there have been tranny failures, and warranty void from not using an ATF other than Mercon SP???
That would be some interesting data!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I wonder if our Ford techs can find out if there have been tranny failures, and warranty void from not using an ATF other than Mercon SP???
That would be some interesting data!!!

I assume that the Amsoil tranny fluid maybe OK, but not 100% to Motorcraft spec. Even if a tranny failed... not sure if a dealership or their tech could immediately tell that it was fluid related? May just ask when was it serviced and by whom?

I think most use Mercon SP in their torqueshift tranny or have the dealership do it... at the beginning, youhad dealerships using Mercon V before they were trained and/or Ford sent out strict bulletins... my dealership for one did not kow at first!!!

I think the tranny's are built well enough that even using unapproved fluid for a normal mileage interval may not cause a failure... but I am just assuming???

blacksnapon

Staff member
The city of St. Robert has 2 that trans failed. Their "tech" argued that he didn't have to use mercon sp. 2 trans failures were not covered under warranty. St. Robert has a new city mechanic.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
The city of St. Robert has 2 that trans failed. Their "tech" argued that he didn't have to use mercon sp. 2 trans failures were not covered under warranty. St. Robert has a new city mechanic.

There you go... right from Blacksnap on himself!!!

How or why did the city mechanic did his own hole and admit to not using the right fluid??

Bob Ayers

Durham, NC

WOW, just the kind of information I was looking for!!! Does Ford have a database that has this kind of information?

Thanks Vince!!!!!!!

blacksnapon

Staff member
There you go... right from Blacksnap on himself!!!

How or why did the city mechanic did his own hole and admit to not using the right fluid??
For him it was a pride thing, he didn't appreciate someone telling him he was wrong in fluid selection. I guess he showed us!

blacksnapon

Staff member
WOW, just the kind of information I was looking for!!! Does Ford have a database that has this kind of information?

Thanks Vince!!!!!!!
The original seals and clutch materials were incompatible with anything other than sp. When you rebuild, depending on the parts used, other fluids are possible.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
The original seals and clutch materials were incompatible with anything other than sp. When you rebuild, depending on the parts used, other fluids are possible.
I've talked to Matt from Spartan Diesel and he mentioned that he's been working on building up a 5R110W for racing or hi-performance and it won't require the Mercon SP because it will be using different materials than the stock ones. I'm awaiting him to tell me he's ready and I'm going to send him my spare 2004 Tranny to build for me. That's at least a few months out though. I think he's so busy right now that he hasn't had time to concentrate on the tranny just yet.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK

Ah yes, I remember it well. Was wondering if they were still peddling the universal ATF, but from reading this post it would appear that unfortunately they still are. Funny thing is, someone over on the diesel garage did a rebuild with suncoast components and his tranny lasted 5k after switching to amsoil. That is an very large pill to swallow.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts