Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

recurring sensor failure

Greetings! This is my first post here. I have a '92 250 van that i take real good care of, more frequently than i would like. The TPS has failed 3 times in a month, and I wonder if its from cheap chinese replacement parts, or some other underlying problem or short thats killing this thing. anyone have this kind of recurring sensor problem?

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Are you sure the TPS is actually bad?
you can test them with a analog ohm meter.
the needle should sweep smooth with no jerking or dead spots. If it is a smooth sweep the TPS is good.
Other problems in wiring can trip a TPS code.

Last edited:
well i just changed it again today, and just like the last 2 times.. problem solved for now. although next time i might try disconnecting the battery to reset the computer first. this time i used an american made one from napa and taped up the harness real good with electrical tape. originally, a hose blew right next to it and thats what broke it. its runs but dont you just hate that feeling when you dont trust your truck? and when its a mystery electrical issue thats just the worst. I would rather do the timing chain than scratch my head.

well, if anyone is interested, is seems there was a crack in a heater hose, a different hose from the other one, that would spray a jet of coolant right at the harness for that thing, and only when the engine was revved up. i think. i guess the moral of this story is.. once one or two hoses actually explode from being old, just go ahaid and do them all or who knows what weirdness you may encounter.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Hopefully that will solve your problem for good. Thanks for the update.

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
I've had people say I am crazy

Because that is exactly what I like to do, if at all possible. If one brake line blows, re-do them all and be done with it because the next one will blow before the next oil change. Same with hoses. Little trickier with rubber hose parts in vacuum applications...and harder to find when they actually crack.

I'v had a fit at several garages who have done work for me, like replace a brake line, then the opposite side goes two weeks later. It's not like I can just look under there easily, but when they have it on a lift, it's all right there for them...and they already have to bleed the system, so just do what needs done and don't play games. It's not like I am going to get my car without paying for the work, right?

Plus the hassle of getting a ride from and to these places. I'd leave a vehicle a week and spend $1,000 to avoid five separate visits, and be money ahead, probably. Right Barney's?

Ford Truck Articles