Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Windows

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
On Friday the power window on my Explorer wouldn't go down. I told Scott about it and tried to show him and the stupid thing started working again. :headbang: Come Sunday the stupid window was not working again. I made an appointment to get it fixed. When I got there to drop the car off the Tech (who checked my car in) checked the power window on the driver side and it was not working. When he called to tell me the car was finished he said that the Service Tech working on the vehicle could not get my window to NOT work. [confused] They have supposedly fixed nothing and my window works just fine now.:hammer:

I think this stupid car is trying to make me look crazy.

Has anyone else had this problem?

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
My father-in-laws truck had an intermittant widow prob and we ended up just putting new switches in and that seemed to fix it. I guess there was a small short or sumpin in the switch.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Usually its the motor. What happens, inactivity from a/c and heater usage (no reason to use the window), causes corrosion to build inside the motor. Bumps and quick shocks break the corrosion loose making it work for a while. Thats an old used car sales trick. Get a car that the windows dont work, pull the door panel, and hit the motor with a hammer while operating the switch. Many times works long enough to get it sold! (Used to work at a shady dealership)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
This same thing happened to me when I was getting a noise from my transmission. It would make it every time I took the truck out, at about 10 minutes into the drive. Dropped it off at a transmission shop and he ran half a tank through it and NEVER heard a peep. Called me back told me it wasn't make noise, I told him it had to be driven for a while. He drove it MORE and it didn't make a peep. Got it back and I could hear the noise on the way home... :headbang:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Just another reason I hate all the modern "power everything".
You're right... That whole newfangled ELECTRICITY thing is a pain in the ass. Don't you think it was much better when you were a kid Brian, and your cars were powered by your feet through a whole in the floor?! :D

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
It is covered under an extended warranty for another 25,000 miles. Hopefully, it will break again before that warranty is up. I understand that they couldn't replace it because they couldn't prove what the broken part was. However, it is very frustrating for me. Oh well, at least, while I am waiting for the rental car I can walk the lot and look at the new mustangs.:)

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
Usually its the motor. What happens, inactivity from a/c and heater usage (no reason to use the window), causes corrosion to build inside the motor. Bumps and quick shocks break the corrosion loose making it work for a while. Thats an old used car sales trick. Get a car that the windows dont work, pull the door panel, and hit the motor with a hammer while operating the switch. Many times works long enough to get it sold! (Used to work at a shady dealership)

Thanks Vince! I didn't realize that could make it stop working and start working again. I did know that if your starter is bad that sometimes if you hit it with a hammer it will make it become unstuck and you will be able to get it to work long enough you can get it started to drive somewhere to get it fixed.

Thanks for your help!

03Explorer

Missouri Chapter member
When I took it in they said all they tried was pushing the button and the suddenly started working again. Now the stupid things work fine. I'm not sure for how long. I try them every time I get in the car.

blacksnapon

Staff member
When I took it in they said all they tried was pushing the button and the suddenly started working again. Now the stupid things work fine. I'm not sure for how long. I try them every time I get in the car.
PM me your VIN...........you up for a road trip?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts