Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Steering Cooler

My 68 F100 with a 360 has power steering. There is a small, finned "radiator" associated with the power steering pump.

I have 69 parts truck with a different pump and no cooler.

I know Ford used a zig-zag pattern of metal PS line on later trucks. I assume this is to dissipate heat from the power steering system.

Any thoughts as to why some trucks/pumps have a cooler and others don't?

Thanks,

Bill

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Possibly part of the "super cooling package" perhaps?

I was thinking that, maybe, some pumps / PS systems were just more efficient. And, as a result, generated less heat. Not be well schooled in hydraulics, I am just guessing. I saw a fairly plain-Jane '73 today with the zig-zag tubing for a cooler. At least, that's what I think it does. No radiator in the truck so no clues from it as to cooling package.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The zigzag is for cooling...more area exposed. My 79 did not have anything like that.

Yep, just like fins on a heat sink.

But, why is a cooler (finned or zig-zag) used on some pumps/models and not others?

I know of a '68 with the finned cooler, a '69 with no cooler and a '73 with the zig-zag. All have PS and 360 engines.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
That zig zag on the power steering is for cooling the fluid, and it is part of the heavy duty cooling, and it is in the Camper Specials, Trailer Specials and any other heavy duty application . My 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat Trailer Special with a 351M/400 has that zig zag cooler in it, and the 77 F-350 Custom dually stake body truck that I had also had the same zig zag cooler in it, and that also had the 351M/400 engine in it and that one also had the heavy duty cooling in it as well. So there's two trucks that have the same motor in them that both have this cooler in them. So I'm going to say that the two trucks that you saw that in did have the heavy duty cooling systems in them, might have been Camper Specials and or Trailer Specials, or any other heavy duty application, and the one you saw that didn't have that might have been a standard truck, and they all had 360 engines. I hope that is is helpful to you

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I've looked through some sales literature I have here and some that I've posted here and can't find anything so far....weird.
I'm going to keep looking though.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Possibly part of the "super cooling package" perhaps?
Not! No such thing as a "super cooling package." Super cooling only refers to the radiator, that has nothing to do with P/S.

The standard/xtra cooling and A/C radiators are 26 1/4" wide x 19 3/4" high. Super cooling radiator is 26 1/4" wide x 24 1/8" high and use a different radiator support.

The finned P/S coolers were used on 1962/65 V8 Passenger Cars with Eaton P/S pumps, its reservoir is mounted on top of the pump or on some with A/C, remotely mounted on the left fender inner apron.

Also installed on misc 1965/72 Passenger Cars with Ford P/S pumps. While there are several different types of these pumps, the reservoir is steel, the P/S pressure hose threads onto the pump.

These coolers were also installed on 1969/72 F100/250 2WD's and F350's with V8 engines, with or without factory A/C.

1978: Ford changed the P/S pump on everything except Econolines and Passenger Cars with Hydro-Boost that use the Saginaw P/S pump (resembles a 'canned ham').

This new pump is smaller than the 1965/77 steel reservoir pumps and has a plastic reservoir. The P/S pressure hose connects to the pump with a qwik connect fitting.

Y'all are looking at these trucks years after they were sold new and many had multiple owners. People swap parts, so it's difficult to know how they were originally equipped.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks for the clarification...I was just guessing about being part of that cooling package..nice to see you posting again!

In asking the original question, I was trying to come up with a reason for PS "coolers", of one sort or another, to be installed on some trucks/pumps and not on others. I wish my '68 didn't have one sticking up, in the way, asking to be bumped, bent, etc. But, I live in a hot, humid area and want as much cooling as I need or can get.

I don't think any of the trucks I mentioned ('68, '69, '73) had anything other than ordinary engine cooling packages. Although, the '73 has a fan clutch.

So, the engine cooling package doesn't appear to matter based on Bill's input.

Which (maybe) leads back to the PS pump itself. Maybe some pumps need them while others don't. My experience with these trucks is limited to what I have available to examine. So, I really can't say if one type pump always has a cooler and another type pump never has one. I suppose geography could even play a part! (Hotter regions had coolers?) But, I doubt it because that is a bit illogical given the mobile nature of vehicles. But, who knows?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Super Cooling Radiator (S/C/R) introduced in 1967 F100/350 with 352's.

The same S/C/R was used on 1968/76 F100/350's with 360/390's, 1973/79 F100/350 460's.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts