Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Politics forum

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
It's just part of FTF trying to keep up with what the members want. Some of us like politics, some don't. This way those who don't want to see it, don't have to, while the others can.

Props to the powers for setting it up this way. Visitors will find the boards to be much more appealing, IMO.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Its a good setup, but I still feel like threads die when they get moved there, like people don't know that the forum exists.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
We're working to fix that, Josh.

It won't show any different for those who have access (like you), but the forum title is now visible to all users. You'll still need to be granted access by an admin, but at least all users will be able to see that the forum exists.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
We're working to fix that, Josh.

It won't show any different for those who have access (like you), but the forum title is now visible to all users. You'll still need to be granted access by an admin, but at least all users will be able to see that the forum exists.

^^^I think that's a faaaaaar better set up. I didn't realize it was completely invisible before, I just thought people were denied access and either didn't question, or got access and didn't post much.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Why do they need to ask permission? its not like its an XXX area that has to be controlled access from minors. Make it visible to everyone, and anyone that clicks on it can see it. If they don't want to go in there, they won't click on it.

People are lazy, if they have to ask for permission to use something, they may just say screw it.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It really just comes down to our 'mission statement' on the front page.

We're a Ford Truck site, first and foremost. This is a side deal by popular demand. As much as you & I like discussing politics, not everyone else does. Another problem with having this type of discussion is that it gets personal. Not everyone can handle a political discussion. It may cause rifts and people may voluntarily leave. We would sure hate to lose members on the basis of an argument that didn't stem from our main focus, trucks.

Long story short, we don't want to run people off.

Ryan

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I now agree with it not being mixed in with normal discussion, but I dont see a point in having to ask permission to use it.

I dont want to see Super Duty discussion, I don't go in the Super Duty page, its that easy. ;)

Once again, great site, pay no attention to little old me.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
we are not trying to say people need permission to be in there but having it so only people from a certain usergroup can access it keeps people from stumbling on it while using the "search" or the "new post" feature and then being offended.

I hope I explained that right.

Fellro

Staff member
It isn't so much permission as just conciously wanting to be involved. Some people will get into it, then get bent out of shape when they have to defend their statements. With it being a permission based entry, they get the forewarning. If they can't handle it, they can also be held out. Some still can't handle it no matter anyway. I don't tend to have the energy for the debating, as well as have the time to research the topic enough to give supporting evidence, so I just stay out of a lot of it. I also am not really one to debate a lot anyway, so unless I feel I have a strong enough stance, just stay out of it.. Some people love to debate, argue, what have you, but I tire of it all fairly quickly. If kept on a good, informational exchange, I enjoy reading the threads. When it drops to accusations and mud slinging, I get sick of it quickly. I wouldn't leave a forum for something that happens there, I just would choose to stay out of there. There are occasions that the behavior trickles out to the other parts of a forum as well. The hope of having a permission based forum is to try to head off that kind of behavior. There are some individuals unfortunately that just aren't adult enough to handle it.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Josh, like the others have said, not everyone can handle discussing things of a political nature like gentleman. Kudos to everyone (admin, smods, and mods) for allowing this a chance to work. More than a few other boards, anything close to a political statement, the entire thread dissapeared, not just the post. I also have to say thanks to the mods for moving questionable threads into that forum so that they actually may be discussed. Lastly, thanks to the rest of the FTF members who have enough intellect to discuss things without getting offended or pissing everyone off. I enjoy a good debate, I enjoy political ones even more. Its not so much about being right or wrong, but the ability to see things from a different point of view. Also kudos to the admin, and mods for not wielding power or position in a political discussion.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
yep im an old member i didnt even relise there was a politics forum...i want in...

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
yep im an old member i didnt even relise there was a politics forum...i want in...
This is what I am talking about.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Josh, like the others have said, not everyone can handle discussing things of a political nature like gentleman. Kudos to everyone (admin, smods, and mods) for allowing this a chance to work. More than a few other boards, anything close to a political statement, the entire thread dissapeared, not just the post. I also have to say thanks to the mods for moving questionable threads into that forum so that they actually may be discussed. Lastly, thanks to the rest of the FTF members who have enough intellect to discuss things without getting offended or pissing everyone off. I enjoy a good debate, I enjoy political ones even more. Its not so much about being right or wrong, but the ability to see things from a different point of view. Also kudos to the admin, and mods for not wielding power or position in a political discussion.

Well said.

This is a great idea. I'm in!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts