Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

points conversion

i want to convert my 300 cid from the module ignition to an old school points ignition with vacuum advance question here is what do i need and how to connect, my thought is:

ignition coil (1970's 300cid)
distributor (1970's 300cid)
run a vacuum line from my lpg carburator to the vac of the distributor,

12v line to the coil (with a resistance to get +-9V)
12V line from starter solenoid S connection to the coil
a wire to run from the coil to the condenser/contact point inside the distributor (TACH wire)

is that about it or do i need more? and what have i missed for installation?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Sorry. It's been too long since I worked on a set of points, but I am curious why you would want to convert from electronic to points.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Either that or so you could get further out to sea before it breaks down. :wasntme: If your set on going backwards, why not go to a magneto, much better life from a magneto than a standard points ignition.

it has couple reasons:

i would like to discard the whole gasoline system include fuel tanks, eec, etc...: problem is that the icm ignition needs the eec to work.
I am swapping to a full lpg system with lpgtanks in stead of the gasoline tanks.
(gives me +- 1400miles radius)
Lpg is carburated, so i would make new intake manifold to fit it to and discard fuel injectors aswell
magneto would be more for a stationary engine so would go for points for now and if really necessary convert it later on to an semi electronic ignition but it don't think that is necessary

and my ignition system now just keeps failing sometimes , checked everything multiple times, sometimes it works and then it won't

just a question while waiting for the points ignition to come: could a non connected MAP sensor cause no spark?

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
it has couple reasons:

i would like to discard the whole gasoline system include fuel tanks, eec, etc...: problem is that the icm ignition needs the eec to work.
I am swapping to a full lpg system with lpgtanks in stead of the gasoline tanks.
(gives me +- 1400miles radius)
Lpg is carburated, so i would make new intake manifold to fit it to and discard fuel injectors aswell
magneto would be more for a stationary engine so would go for points for now and if really necessary convert it later on to an semi electronic ignition but it don't think that is necessary

and my ignition system now just keeps failing sometimes , checked everything multiple times, sometimes it works and then it won't

just a question while waiting for the points ignition to come: could a non connected MAP sensor cause no spark?

I checked into swap couple years ago . The company I was going to use still had same distributor . Just changed intake and tanks and used thier harness . Since I have found set up to do gas and propane.Points went out in 70's there are allot of carb equipped truck since So I'd go with early 80's truck sett up .

Last edited:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
FWIW, you can probably buy a decent Offy intake for way less than building one...

I checked into swap couple years ago . The company I was going to use still had same distributor . Just changed intake and tanks and used thier harness . Since I have found set up to do gas and propane.Points went out in 70's there are allot of carb equipped truck since So I'd go with early 80's truck sett up .

have duals setup now, but gas tank is in the bed so i have a huge waste of space (almost never run gasoline anymore)
what would i need to do for an early 80's setup?

FWIW, you can probably buy a decent Offy intake for way less than building one...

intake needs to be almost the same to what i have now for the lpg carb to fit, but i want to get rid of everything not in use

received the distributor but current cap and rotor won't fit so conversion will have to wait, I also want to ask how i take the oil pump drive shaft of the old distributor? or isnt the long hexagonal metal end piece for the oil pump?

Ford Truck Articles