Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Overhead Display (Compass only) Not Working??

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I have the overhead display that shows the compass heading, mpg and miles left to empty (in my 2003 Excursion).

The display works and is well lit and the mpg and miles to empty are working fine... but it is my compass that is not working correctly.

1) The compass will go into the CAL (Calibration mode) all by itself.

2) The compass heading will be blank, then reappear on its own.

3) I will try and manually re-set and drive in a slow circle to re-calibrate and sometimes that works and other times it does not.

4) Sometimes the heading will be correct and other times it will be off (obviously due to a bad calibration).

OK Ford techs.... what is going on?

What can I do?

I can try and drive in a circle again (per the manual) but it seems to come out of calibration a few days or a week later.

What ideas do you have for me?????

Thanks,

Any large magnets nearby?
"Select" button clean? If it's the same as the '02 I had, it got dirt around it at times, effectively "pushing" the button with no hands

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Any large magnets nearby?
"Select" button clean? If it's the same as the '02 I had, it got dirt around it at times, effectively "pushing" the button with no hands

My Garmin GPS is suction cup mounted right behind the rear-view mirror. However, the compass has worked fine for the last 2 or 3 years I have had the GPS in that location.

The power cord for the GPS runs up under the headliner by the windshield and comes down the driver's side A-piller... but up until 3 to 4 weeks ago... all has been fine for at least 2 years????

Even though I never use the on-board compass, it drives me nuts to know my truck is not running 100%.

Will try some compressed air or cleaning off the buttons (have nothing to loose by trying).

Thanks,

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Sounds like the compass module may be on the blink Here's the pinpoint test.

PINPOINT TEST A: THE COMPASS IS INACCURATE
Test Step Result / Action to Take
A1 CHECK COMPASS ZONE SETTING
Carry out the compass zone adjustment. Refer to Compass Zone Adjustment in this section.
Does the compass zone set correctly?
Yes
GO to A2.

No
GO to A5.
A2 CALIBRATE COMPASS
Carry out the compass calibration adjustment. REFER to Compass Calibration in this section.
Does the compass calibrate correctly?
Yes
GO to A4.

No
GO to A3.
A3 DEMAGNETIZE THE VEHICLE
Demagnetize the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Demagnetizing in this section.
Does the compass calibrate correctly?
Yes
GO to A4.

No
GO to A5.
A4 CHECK THE COMPASS ACCURACY
Position the vehicle and observe the compass display as follows:

Direction Compass Display
North N
Northeast NE
East E
Southeast SE
South S
Southwest SW
West W
Northwest NW

Does the compass display as indicated?
Yes
Compass is OK.

No
GO to A5.
A5 CHECK FOR CORRECT OTC MODULE OPERATION
Check for:
corrosion
pushed-out pins
connector seated correctly
Connect any disconnected connectors.
Make sure all other system connectors are fully seated.
Operate the system and verify the concern is still present.
Is the concern still present?
Yes
INSTALL a new OTC module. If Excursion, REFER to Message Center — Excursion in this section. If F-Super Duty, REFER to Message Center — F-Super Duty in this section. TEST the system for normal operation. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the OTC self-test.

No
The system is operating correctly at this time. Concern may have been caused by a loose or corroded connector. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the OTC self-test.

PINPOINT TEST

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Thanks for the "test proceducres".

I will be checking it tomorrow.

I had to have my rear back-up sensors worked on and the dealer tech hooked up his computer to my PCM and updated stuff and cleared an old code... other than that... my truck runs just fine (always has).

I am wondering if I go back to the dealer and have them hook back up to my PCM if it will show any codes, or if something did not re-set itself?

Your thoughts????

Are these related or just me thinking about it to hard????

maybe you should try some Hot Shots Secret, I hear its a fix for multiple problems...:nana:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
maybe you should try some Hot Shots Secret, I hear its a fix for multiple problems...:nana:

Guarenteed too!!!!!

My "Flux-Capacitor" needs fixing to... maybe it will work on it as well???

:nana: :nana: :nana:

Ford Truck Articles