Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Overhead Compass and MPG Display Has Died!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Ok guys... with 179,000 miles on my 2003 Excursion, my first failure... not quite... but it's distracting actually.

Last year, my overhead compass and MPG display started to no register properly. First the compass would stay in the calibrate mode and would not stay in the regular "compass mode" after repeated attemps to recalibrate.

The slowly the LED display starting going dimmer and dimmer, but the MPG function and "miles to empty" display and function always worked just fine... until last week... and finally the display has gone dark!!!!

So... what has happened?

What is the fix?

What is the cost to fix or replace the unit (main question of all of the ones asked)? What is best price available and what is availabel from dealer or from internet?

How long does it it take to fix?

Can I do it or is best to have the dealer do it?

What is Ford's part number for my vehicle below?
(2003 Excursion LTD, 6.0L, 4x4)

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ

blacksnapon

Staff member
Let me know which symptom fits best.

Symptom Chart

NOTE: Always check ZONE and calibration (CAL) adjustments before replacing the compass sensor module; refer to General Procedures.

Symptom Chart Condition Possible Sources Action
The compass is inaccurate
ZONE setting.
Compass calibration.
Vehicle magnetism.
Compass sensor module.
GO to Pinpoint Test A.

No communication with the message center — F-Series Superduty
Fuse.
Circuitry.
Message center.
GO to Pinpoint Test B.

No communication with the message center — Excursion
Fuse.
Circuitry.
Message center.
GO to Pinpoint Test C.

Not all segments of display illuminate
Message center.
INSTALL a new message center. If Excursion, REFER to Message Center — Excursion. If F-Superduty, REFER to Message Center — F-Super Duty. TEST the system for normal operation.

The distance to empty (DTE)/average fuel economy is inoperative/incorrect — F-Series Superduty
Circuitry.
Fuel level sensor and pump.
Message center.
Vehicle speed signal.
Powertrain control module (PCM).
GO to Pinpoint Test D.

The distance to empty (DTE)/average fuel economy is inoperative/incorrect — Excursion
Circuitry.
Fuel level sensor and pump.
Message center.
Vehicle speed signal.
Powertrain control module (PCM).
GO to Pinpoint Test E.

The message center display is blank
Fuse.
Circuitry.
Message center.
Message center all off option.
With ignition ON, depress the mode button. If still no display, for F-Super Duty, GO to Pinpoint Test B; for Excursion, GO to Pinpoint Test C.

The outside air temperature is inaccurate/inoperative
Outside temperature sensor.
Circuitry.
Message center.
GO to Pinpoint Test F.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
My overhead display started to have issues last year...

1) Compass would go in and out of calibration mode and not stay accurate.

2) Green display would start to go dimmer and dimmer... and then finally went dark.

I am thinking that the entire unit/circuit board just needs to be replaced... and I have seen some threads on other forums about Ford having issues and even switched suppliers a few years back?

My questions are:

1) What is the Ford part # for my truck (2003 Excursion, 6.0L, LTD, 4X4)? This will also allow me to look on-line and check with my local dealer.

2) What is the retail cost and what would be "fleet costing" or a good deal on the board?

3) How easy is it to fix myself and are there instructions available on-line or that could be sent to me?

4) If I have the dealer fix it for me, what is the amount of labor time I should be charged for?

5) Is the old part/module able to be rebuilt and is there a "core" return fee available or can I just pitch it (have seen on-line that the module can be rebuilt)?

I have the OEM stock 2-button unit that shows the compass and either my current miles to empty or current miles to the gallon.

Thanks,

Ford Truck Articles